Removing Starter from 30 733

34PackardRoadsta

Dear All,

I know this was covered a bit ago in answering a question from tbirdman, but I am still a bit confused.

I am trying to remove the starter from my 1930 733. There is a large bolt on the flywheel case that I removed, thinking this would allow the starter to come free. Well, it doesn't. So, do I have the right bolt and the starter is just stuck on, or is there another bolt that I am not seeing, or is there a trick once the bolt is removed for getting this beast off? Or, of course, any combo of the three.

I have attached a photo with an arrow pointing to the bolt I have removed. You will also see that I already disconnected the starter lead.

Cheers,

Tom

post-54016-143137968567_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

I always put a little Grease on that mating surface, so it will be easier to get apart the Next time. smile.gif 'A Little Dab 'll Do Ya' cool.gif

"Never Sieze" would be a better choice than grease, but I'd be reluctant to use anything; by increasing the ease of the starter motor rotating in the housing, you place all the stress of cranking the motor on the bolt and one side of the casting. I've seen a few Eight and Super Eight blocks cracked there, and more than one Twelve block actually broken from this. Same reasoning as to not put grease on the tapered rear axle shafts, a friction fit is intended.

Guest imported_Speedster

There's always someone that want's to start another argument about 'Grease' wink.gif , but I'm not gonna let him pull me in. laugh.gif LOL

Everyone can form there own opinion about what 'Works', I only know what Works for me.

Guest imported_Speedster

Tom,

The bolt determines the position of the starter, since it determines how far the starter goes in, and there's always a small air gap around part of the fit. So a lubricate around and in the opening actually makes the fit tighter, preventing air from getting between the mounting surfaces, and of course it prevents moisture from getting between them causing rust and corrosion. There's nothing to pull the starter in tighter, like there is on an axle-shaft.

Do it the way you want, but I just had to say something, when I know I'm Correct on this one.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 34PackardRoadsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I understand the benefit of a little oil, but as the thing is sitting in the crank, it gets plenty of lube.

Tom </div></div>

A little oil is Fine, it just doesn't last as long as high-temp grease. Any excess grease is pushed out when you push the starter in, anyway.

I don't understand what you mean "sitting in the crank" ?

The starter does not get any lubrication, from the engine.

Oil from the crankcase should Not be getting to the flywheel and starter. If you are seeing a Lot of oil on the starter gear and the flywheel, then there may be a crankshaft Seal Leak? Either that or the chassis-lubicator is putting Way Too Much oil in at the shift-lever in tranny, thru the clutch. Or maybe even from a transmission seal leak, but I would suspect a crankshaft seal leak first.

If you are seeing a lot of oil on the flywheel then there's probably a lot of oil on the Clutch, which is Not good.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Am I doing something wrong? Mine came out without any issue and I have no trouble sticking the starter back in. smile.gif </div></div>

Some people are Good at 'Mating' and some are Not. laugh.gif LOL