Newbie with 50 Wayfarer question

SRichards

I searched and found a few similar things in the forum archives but so far haven't hit anything that helps, so I thought I'd see what people think. When I bought my 50 Wayfarer it had been sitting for a long time, and there were pinhole leaks in the gas tank. I replaced it with another from an Arizona junkyard -- no pinholes, but it looks like the female fitting on the tank where the fuel line attaches was epoxied onto the tank. I can't seem to get a leak-free seal when I reattach the gas line. It seems to be leaking at the line where the male and female fittings join, not behind the female fitting. I've tried teflon tape without success. I know better than to overtorque the fittings but I'm wondering if there's a thread sealant that might work better than the teflon tape? I noticed a lot of Permatex-type products that say they're gas resistant, but not gas-proof. Any help would be appreciated -- I didn't know this site existed and I'm having lots of fun exploring!

SteveR in St Louis

50 Dodge Wayfarer

76 Triumph TR7 (original owner)

I've run into this before on Chrysler products of that age. If your tank fitting is the kind I'm used to it has a sort of tapered or wedge shaped fitting. With age and wear it is possible the threaded portion bottoms out before you get a tight seal.

I have added a thin red fibre washer which completely cured the problem. The washer came from a carburetor kit, there are usually extra parts and washers in these kits.It was one of the left over parts from an old kit.

A small neoprene O ring would work if you don't tighten it too much.

I belive the part you need is called by Chrysler a "fuel tank filter nipple sleeve." Chrysler part #1122375. It is a ferrule that fits in that union. PartsVoice.com indicates that the following suppliers have the part:

Valley vintage Auto Parts ($4.00)

http://www.vvap.com/

Deception Pass Motor Parts ($3.00)

http://www.dpmotorparts.com/

Hope this helps.

Jim Yergin

The sleeve gets clamped tight onto the line the first time it is tightened up, after that it can't move.

When it gets worn with age it will not longer seal.

The correct repair is to replace the sleeve which requires replacing the fuel line as they are stuck together.

The washer is a way to avoid this, by taking up the looseness caused by wear.