Buick Transmission ...Time to help is now

Dynaflash8

It is the first & reverse sliding gear. I'll look up the number in my master parts book if you like, but I've sold all the used '39 60-80-90 gears I had. Some fit all the way ip to 1956. Have you tried the buick parts place in Georgia? I think it is <A HREF="http://www.buickfarm.com." TARGET=_blank>http://www.buickfarm.com.</A> After dealing with the exhaust manifold on one big series '39 I went back to all Specials smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 07-20-2001: Message edited by: Dynaflash8 ]

OK here is the deal. I need a gear for a 1939 Buick Series 61 transmission. The gear is the low / reverse gear. It will work if from a big series car of 1937 to 1940 vintage. I have at the present time purchased 1 complete trans , 1 new gear and 2 used gears. All of them are wrong. Now I am not usually Mr. Bad Luck so I know there is someone out there that can help me with this. Please step forward and identify yourself. The gear you have is the last part needed to make the old Buick run. I thank all that have helped me in this search and all that will help. I will follow up on all leads, so send me any info you may have. Thanks Mark Sanders sanders4@mindspring.com sanders4@mindspring.com

yes ,,,the Buick Farm has some gears, but not the one I need. Please look it up in the book and tell me what is says. I think it is from 37 to 40 only. A used gear will be fine and if I have to buy a complete trans I will do so. The manifold on the big cars does seem to be a pain, but I do not have any experience with it yet. The car has not run in 20 years. We will see...soon I hope...Thanks Mark sanders4@mindspring.com

Okay, you are correct. The 1st & Reverse Slider fits 1937-39 60-80-90 and 1940 60-70-80-90. The Group # is 4.417, the Part # is 1296506. There was a transmission gear place in NJ who advertised all the time in Hemmings. They might have a LEMPCO brand or some other aftermarket gear to fit it too. I also think that a 1941-56 entire transmission would fit, or the guts thereof, but that's certainly the hard way to go to repflace a 1st & reverse slider. This is the first gear to go in an old Buick, along with the Cluster Gear (factory called the counter gear). This is because of the rear seal situation on these transmission. When it leaks those are the first two gears to run without grease/oil due to low transmission fluid.

Dear Mark, Have you tried Northwest Transmisions? They specialize in transmission parts for old cars. Phone 1-800-327-1955. Ask for Rusty. I'v had good luck with them for years. smile.gif" border="0 Hope this helps.Jeff

Thanks for all the help. I will follow these leads. As for swaping the guts or changing to a 40 or later trans, I have not looked into that. The place in NJ is also new to me. My trans has the 1st gear broke not due to seal leaking, but due to the engine being locked up. The previous owner pulled it with a truck trying to unlock the engine. As he poped the clutch and the engine did not turn, it found the weak link. There are 5 teeth broke off. The good part is that they did not get it running , so the broken teeth did not do any damage to the rest of the trans. Again THANK YOU for all the help. I will follow every lead until I find the right one. Mark