Rubber interior parts source needed for 37

Bugman

Hello everyone, I've got a 1937 Dodge coupe and I am needing a new rubber grommet that goes around the steering wheel shaft to the firewall/toeboard. It has a metal core with rubber around it. I've tried Steele and they dont seem to have it. Any advice?

Hope I dont get in trouble for this but Jack Carpenter makes many rubber parts for early Dodges and may be able to help you. Quality cannot be beat. Not sure if its Ok to give his phone # here ( dont know the rules ) he advertises in the back of the D.B newsletter. If you dont have it then send me a P.M and I will give it to you.

QuietRide Solutions, in Stockton,CA, sells a 37/38 Mopar Steering Column boot for $108. It is a plastic composit, not rubber, but it looks like the original boot. I had some trouble fitting it so the pedals would not rub on the side of the hole once I put the rubber inserts along the pedal shafts. Nevertheless, this was the best I could find to replace my badly worn boot. It looks nice and will work, however it's a little on the expensive side for what it is. Their web site is www.quiteride.com.

Thom

All the rubber had hardened and cracked so I chipped it off. Now I've just got the metal core that bolts to the firewall and toeboard. It's passable, but there is still a large hole around the steering collumn that I can see the road through and it lets in all kinds of cold air this time of year.

I like the idea of the CV boot!

Thom, could you please be more specific with your link to quietride? The link you've posted takes me to a page that is a huge list of links to other sites, none of which look like they have a steering boot.

I have never tried lestoil but I have tried ATF with no luck at all, I have soaked some rubber in a container of Armor All and it worked great but I am not sure of the longterm affect. Just for kicks try and google how to soften rubber on internet sometime, you will be amazed at how little can be found, I have been saying for years that we can send a man to the moon but we cannot restore a piece of rubber. But again I just prob. have not got good info yet, I will try the lestoil, thanks