title and vin problems (long)

dads-49

Folks,

I did searh, so here goes.

My dad bought a 1949 Super 4dr off ebay June/July 2007. The PO brings the car down to Tucson July 14th. My dad gets to drive it one (1) day. Dad dies of massive heart attach July 20th.....he never got tags, I only have a signed title from Nevada.

I FINALLY take the car down to the DMV to get it titled and registered. Here in AZ with an out of state title you need a level one inspection.

The Nevada title has a number that matches a plate screwed into the left-hand door pillar. AZ DMV needs to see a manufacture VIN location match this number. The number on the left-hand door pillar is 25154747 which is fabricated!

I have an engine code of 53761125 which I found. I can not find a single body VIN anywhere. Should be 1724074.

I can not find any of the locations listed in 'Standard Catalog of Buicks' which the DMV uses. I have historical registration cards with the engine number but I can't verify the body vin.

Anyone got any pictures of actual vin locations? The Body-by-Fisher tag under the hood on the front of dash under the hood has no vin ID.

Sincerely,

Ed Stokes

Tucson, AZ

You might have a car that had no title. the seller probably bought a title and vin plate,if I am corect Buick put the tags on with rivets not screws.Did your dad get a bill of sale wich might help locate the seller to help claryify your need.Or check with the state were the title is from.Wish you luck.

Ed,

A possible location for a stamped VIN location is on the left frame rail directly in front of the cowl on the left (driver side) on the top surface of the rail.

I am not sure regarding how the VIN tag was attached to the pillar, but at least on Chevrolets of that vintage they were spot welded to the pillar. On mid-50's Buicks, theey too were spot welded. I can't remember how the VIN tag on my '48 was attached, It was 25 years ago, project car, never started on it, sold it, etc.

The only advice I can give you is to make a contact with the main DMV office in Phoenix. They are the definitive answer regarding titling and registration in the state.

When I lived in another western state in the early 80's, I purchased a car without a title, but with a bill of sale from the property owner where the car sat for fifteen or so years. The previous property owner had died, no telling where the title (if any) was. At the local DMV, talking to three different people I got three different answers on how to proceed. The BEST (?) was that I had to write letters to ALL fifty states, all provinces in Canada and all states in Mexico asking them to check for a previous title. One call to the head DMV office, getting the procedure (LEIN,NCIC check, purchasing a sureity bond, bill of sale from property owner and a police inspection of the VIN) was all it took.

Took it to the DMV, the clerk tried to tell me that this was all wrong, she could not issue a title. I then gave her the name and phone number of the person I spoke to at the head office, she phoned him, short end, I walked out with title and plates.

I can't say if this will work for you, but a phone call or a personal visit to the head office is definitely in order. Take all paperwork for the car, death certificate, all copies of correspondence between your father and the seller if any is available.

But be prepared, if the stamped frame number does not match the VIN on the title, a whole new can of worms may open up.

A whole lot of reasons for this, none of them very pretty.

Could be as simple as this is the way he bought it, or as complicated as a lien not paid off, or a stolen vehicle.

You could lose the car, be prepared for this scenario.

Good luck with this, you may have a long fight on your hands.

Thanks for all the responses. The guy at the DMV is really trying to help me here. The VIN on the title is nonsense. All he needs is for me to find a couple spots on the frame where the body VIN is located. AGAIN, the DMV and I are using the 'Standard Catalog of Buick' to locate VIN stamps or tags.

What I need are actual pictures of VIN locations. Please help!

We believe that NV issued a new VIN with the title as they did not want to use the engine VIN. Which matters not, I still need to find an actual VIN. The door pillar is bolted on an AZ will not validate it. It's wrong anyway.

Ed

FYI,

This is what the 'Standard Catalog of Buick' says:

I.D. NUMBERS

1. serial number under hood, staqmped on a plate attached to top right-hand frame side rail ahead of front body bracket. (both the guy at the DMV and myself can not find this one)

2. Also under the hood on a plate attached to the front of the dash on the right side. (we only found Fisher body tag)

3. Plate attached to left-hand front door pillar. (this is made-up VIN screwed into pillar a good foot above top hinge)

4. Also stamped on left-hand front crossmember exension of the frame. (can't find, any pictures?)

5. Also stamped on cylinder block at the front edge of the push rod cover on the left side of the engine. (is this the engine number by the dizzy? otherwise still no body number)

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ed

Tucson, AZ

Guest imported_Thriller

Location 2 sounds like where it is on my '41...I've got a photo here...I just check to see whether it is perhaps too close up for your assistance. On my '52, there is a VIN on the door pillar...I'd need to check photos, but I'm pretty sure it is riveted there.

Yeah, the photo is in too close, but it's on the passenger side...I believe right on the cowl.

Good luck.