34 Packard parts on Ebay

tbirdman

Has anyone noticed the 34 Packard parts on Ebay. Nothing cheap. If the seller gets the starting price on each of the items, he can buy another 34 Packard with the proceeds smirk.gif

I also was curious why the bidding on the 34 V12 Phaeton did not reach the buy now price which I thought was under market by about 100K. Incorrect engine numbers or fake?

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone noticed the 34 Packard parts on Ebay. Nothing cheap. If the seller gets the starting price on each of the items, he can buy another 34 Packard with the proceeds smirk.gif

I also was curious why the bidding on the 34 V12 Phaeton did not reach the buy now price which I thought was under market by about 100K. Incorrect engine numbers or fake? </div></div>

Yes, I've noticed how All prewar Packard parts have about Doubled, in the last year on so. mad.gif The problem is that there are guys out there that are willing and able to pay those prices, but I sure Can't. If it keeps on like this, I may have restored my Last Packard, cause there's no way I can bid on them. I'll have to leave this hobby to the young rich guys, and go back to Fords or something. That's the reason I had to leave the experimental-aircraft hobby and the robotics hobby, just got too dang expensive. Hey, If you can't play the game, get off the field.

I'm surprized the Pheaton got that high, with that bright Orange Color. (Another Circus-wagon) smirk.gif

The problem is and I'm guilty of it, when a rare part comes up for sale, it's multiple people bidding on it that drives up the price. Ebay I think has made finding parts easier but also has driven the price inflation.

Maybe I'll should part out my 32 and buy a Dusie with the proceeds smile.gif

But ignoring the 34 V12 color, a repaint though not cheap, would be a fairly small investment for that car.

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

But ignoring the 34 V12 color, a repaint though not cheap, would be a fairly small investment for that car. </div></div>

Yes, I suppose so, but when most people pay that kind of money they expect it to be Perfect. I've never understood why Open cars are So high priced, in the first place. Hey, you can't even park it under the shade-tree, without it getting Full of leaves. laugh.gif LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I've never understood why Open cars are So high priced, in the first place. Hey, you can't even park it under the shade-tree, without it getting Full of leaves. laugh.gif LOL </div></div>

Nothing like driving a open car during a nice weather day. I think most cars look better with the top down like my 64 Bird. However my 32 Packard looks good either way.

It makes sense to me if you are going to do a restoration on a car, that you start with a open car just because the resale is higher and the open restoration is any more difficult than a closed. However a closed car is probably more suitable for touring.

Agreed. The only downsides I can think in doing an open car restoration is the acquisition cost of the starting car is higher and parts unique to the open car may be harder to find and more expensive as they were built in much fewer numbers (Not taking into the times when open cars dominated thecar scene in the early years)

Guest imported_Speedster

The Biggest Downside of an Open car is that it's OPEN. I don't see how you guys that live in the Wintery North would ever want an open car. Hey, I can't even ware my Stetson without it getting blown off, in one of those. mad.gif LOL laugh.gif

Unless you hang those funkey side curtains, then it's no longer an open car, only a strange looking afterthought closed car, with poor visibility. wink.gif

Unlike my T-Bird, my 32 doesn't even have a heater. However the way I work on my cars is doing the winter and drive them in the very nice weather here in Oregon (May-Oct). That's why I don't think I could ever do a complete 3 year or longer complete restoration project as it would kill me to have the car apart while there wwas nice weather.

I've lost more than one baseball cap laugh.gif

So are you going to put one of those big steer horns on the front of your Packard since you are already wearing Steson?

Guest imported_Speedster

Nope, I'm Saving the Steer-horns for my next Cadillac. laugh.gif

Somehow, it just Don't seem Right, to put them on a Packard. wink.gif