TR6 VIBES

Guest LarsG

Hello!!!

My TR6 is acting up a bit and (although I have done my own diagnosis...)I would very much like some more input to go after:

It is a 1972 carburated version that was fully restored years ago but has been driven sparingly and well cared for since.

When cruising in O/D all seems fairly ok & silent but if I cut off the O/D at that moment, I get a cacophony from the transmission area. Sounds like bearings.

Next, when doing about 45mph and more (whether in O/D or not) there is a vibration coming from the rear end but I cannot trace it precisely. It gets harsher as speed increases and becomes more of a shake than a vibration.

It is so disturbing that I hesitate going over 60mph!

I look forward to help with this issue as I live in a country where this car is virtually unknown (!) and there are only about 3 more in the whole country. Also, nobody has any experience working on them, as can be imagined!

THANKS!

Lars S

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Lars.

I too have a 1972 TR-6. Owned it since new. My only experience with a similar vibration problem as yours turned out to be a worn universal joint. This happened many, many years ago and if memory serves me correctly, it generated the feeling that the transmission was going out.

For starters, check the universal joint for wear and keep us posted.

Here is a photo of my car in 2007.

Regards,

Peter.

post-31146-143137965212_thumb.jpg

Hi Lars,

I aso have a TR6, but have only recently been driving one with any frequency so I have no experience with your type of problem.

I think it would be a very good idea for you to join whatever club/organization you can where you live. Here in the U.S. we have a dedicated TR6 club, The 6-Pack, as well as the Vintage Triumph Register. The English Triumph Sports Six Club's web page has a nice international directory of Triumph clubs which should help you contact somone in your area.

Joining any of these clubs gives you access to the best experience there is with problems like these. Most clubs have a marque-specific forum for posting inquiries. A knowledgable person will respond (probably) with more questions to narrow down the possibilities quite quickly. I know that the 6-Pack's email tech discussion digest lists responses to these kinds of questions within hours, as does it's tech forum.