1905 Sears and Roebuck

Guest chopprjok

Guest chopprjok

Hey Guys,

I have a good friend that just purchased a 1905 Sears and Roebuck. Great little car we got it started today.

I am curious, how many of these little cars are left, and is there a place to get parts for them online. This one seems to be perfect, but it is always nice to know where you can get parts before you have to start looking for them.

Any help is appreciated.

The survival rate of Sears cars is very high. They built about 3,000 of them, and there are probably at least 500 still left. The year of your friend's car is probably later as production did not start until about 1908, and went until about 1912 or 1913. Many of them are mis-dated. My father's Sears is registered as 1910, but it has one of the highest serial numbers, so it's most likely closer to 1912.

Parts are not too easy to come by, but in the 40 years my dad has had his, he hasn't had any problems. There is somebody reproducing mufflers, and another owner found a source for new friction wheels. The Schebler carburetor was used by many others, the spark plugs and coils are the same as Model T Ford. There isn't much else to go wrong.

There is a major engine difference between the early and later cars, with the later engines being much improved. The early engine can be identified by having two cams and radial fins on the heads, while the later cars have one cam on the top of the engine and straight fins on the heads.

What is the model and serial number of your friend's car? Got any pictures?

post-48034-143137962306_thumb.jpg

post-48034-143137962308_thumb.jpg

post-48034-143137962309_thumb.jpg

Guest EMF-Owner

Congrats on the Sears. They are a fun car if you treat them for what they are.

Like Steve said, there is no way that it is a 1905 Sears. My dads Sears is titled as a 1907 Sears, but it is really a 1909. It is the 204th Sears with serial number 1204 (Numbering started at 1000 if I recall). You can find the serial number on the cross member of the frame right under the floor boards. The same cross member that the oiler is mounted to as well as a support for the starting crank. You may have to dig through oil and dirt. The same number should also appear on the ID plate which originally would have been mounted on the back of the body. I have seen some Sears which have plates with IDs different than the frame number. They should be the same. I believe you can buy repro ID plates.

Steve mentioned that the car uses Model T Coils, which is true, it will run on Model T coils, but originally had Knoxon (sp?) coils, one for each cylinder.

Please let us know if you need any help. Please also post a picture, and if you can post the serial number, we can help you more accurately date the car.

Good luck and happy motoring!

John

John is correct about the coils. My dad has the original coil box somewhere, but the availability of Ford coils makes them an easy substitute.

I do believe that the serial number started with 1000, my dad's is number 3448. I don't know if they ever got past 4000.

Guest chopprjok

Hey Guys,

The S/N for this little Sears is # 1085. The data plate on the front and the one on the cross member match.

So you guys tell me what year you think it is. It is registered as a 1905. My friend is the third documented owner. The last owner held the car for over 50 years. We got 3 or 4 file folders full of documentation with the car.

We have gotten it running and have driven it a little. The car is a lot of fun, I have some pictures of the car, but can't figure out how to load them on the site yet.

If anyone has suggestions on that shoot them to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chopprjok

The car was purchased from a man in Mechanicsburg, PA. He was selling it for a family as they tried to clean up an estate as we understand it.

We have a lot of documentation with the car, so I can look if you need me too.

We have the little car running, and it drives wonderfully.

chop

Mechanicsburg is a bit far from here. If it is the same car, it was brokered, but I think my friend sold his directly. Just curious if it was the same one. The ownership history sounded similar. His car had a top, which you don't see too often. Thanks for the reply.

Guest chopprjok

Mr Higgins,

This car has a top, and from what we have been able to derive from the documentation, the car belonged to the same gentleman for over 50 years.

He apparently was heavily involved in politics, because there was a photo of him using it for his campaign vehicle.

The car was also one of the first to cross a bridge up there according to some of the documents and newspaper clippings.

Is it possible that this was the same vehicle?

• 5 months later...
Guest greenlitebandit

Is that the same car that had "JIM" in gold leaf on the back end and "1905" on the front, historic plate Y630? If so, was very nice condition. Looked like original upholstery. I drooled over it [not on it] when it was up for sale. Had the top option and all!

Guest chopprjok

Yes Sir,

That is the same car. The friend of mine that bought its name is Jimmy. He thought it was a sign from God that he had to have it. It is a very nice car. He is having the motor rebuilt right now, it had some problems after we got it here.

He is looking forward to the parade season this year. It will be a real conversation piece.

Let us know if you need any further info.

He signed up for the Sears site that was being advertised on here the other day, but he told me that he hasn't heard anything back yet.

chop

• 8 months later...
Guest EMF-Owner

Guys,

I got the following email from Donna as well as a call about the Sears which is the topic of this thread. She has lots more information about this car that she would like to share with the new owner. Since "CHOPPRJOK" does not have an email associated with the login, I decided to post the information here. I have contact info for Donna which I will not post here. If Chopperjok can contact me, I will let them know this info. I will also try a PM to chopperjok.

See message below (CAPS not my choice):

IM TRYING TO GET INTOUCH WITH THE NEW OWNER OF MY GRANDFATHER'S 1905 SEARS AND ROEBUCK . I HAVE ALL THE HISTORY OF THE CAR AND LOTS OF PICTURES. I FOUND IT ON THE AACA HIS NAME IS JIMMY IN AR AND HIS FRIEND'S AACA NAME "CHOPPRJCK" IS TRYING TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE CAR , BUT I DON'T HAVE HIS E-MAIL ADDRESS. I'M NOT A MEMBER OF AACA SO I CAN'T TALK TO HIM ON AACA. IF YOU COULD PASS THIS ON I WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO HIM.

Guest chopprjok

John,

Thank you so much for this post. Sorry I have been out of town for a week or so and did not check the site until this morning. My email address is chopprjok2000@yahoo.com. Please forward me any contact info for Donna and I will get in touch with her.

If you want to give her an update on the car, Jimmy rebuilt the engine this past summer and fall. He absolutely loves it.

Jimmy and I worked together, and due to a medical condition he is preparing to retire, and he has told me that he is looking forward to spending more time messing with the Sears.

Again, thanks for passing on this email.

chopprjok

• 11 months later...
Guest Travis Grady

Im interested in finding out about my grandfathers sears & roebuck car. The year is supposed to be 1903-04. He is the 2nd owner, his father owned it before him. He is interested in finding out what it is worth. Does anyone know anything about this car?

Im interested in finding out about my grandfathers sears & roebuck car. The year is supposed to be 1903-04. He is the 2nd owner, his father owned it before him. He is interested in finding out what it is worth. Does anyone know anything about this car?

What is the serial number of the car? Sears production started around 1908. Sears cars seem to sell for $10-20k depending on condition of course. They are a lot of fun to own.