need advice from the experts- open drive line

Guest Don53

Have a 53 super with auto trans and Iam interested in converting to a open driveline. Can anyone tell me the easiest way with the least amount of modification? Or is it too much of a hassle. Thanks Don53

The easiest way to convert this car to an open drive line is to sell it and buy a 61 Buick.

Sorry, but you asked.

If thats not in your plans, then check the links section of the BCA Home page. Roberta has a link there to someone who converted his 1952 Buick to an open driveshaft. I think you'll find that the advice above will still be the easiest though.

Good luck

Hi Don. Being new to Buicks let me say welcome, to a great group. In answer to your question I'll say 61, although it may be 1960. I'm not sure. Certainly by 63. What model is your 53? And what was your plan for modification? New engine and tranny? All Buick I hope.

Note, these conversions were not so popular ten years ago or so, but they are being done more today. While not frequent enought to be a standard, you might be able to find places that have done them before, which would save you a lot of time and potential error.

But what's wrong with your 53's rear axle that you want to consider this?

John

I have been a chevy man for years. Chevy came out with a open driveline in 55. Being so new to Buick I didnt realize that the open drive didnt come around till 60 or 61. I may have to rethink my plan. I have a 53 super with the V8. I was planning to keep the stock engine and add upgraded running gear. Nothing is wrong with the rear axle. Just wanted to do a little custom upgrading.Don53

Well, I can only suggest more research before trying anything. 53 was the first year for the 322 Cu Nailhead. It was kept a 322 till 57 when it became a 364. In 59 it became a 401. They all look exactly alike, but between those years there are several combinations of engine/tranny that do not mix.

The dynaflow tranny was also used up till 63 then the Turbo 400 was introduced. So there is a lot that can lead you astray.

You may want to look at the 56 322 and a 56 dynaflow. And there have been several threads on this forum that got into this area. You may also want to check the V8 web site, where there is a very active group doing a lot of modifications. But, does the current engine run? If so I would suggest keeping it original. 53 was buicks 50th anniversary and a lot of people would love to have such a car, especially if it's a 2 door.

Good luck

JD

JD

The engine does not run. I recently got the car and its been sitting not running for about 10 yrs. Going to give it a clean up and tune up and then see if it runs. It turns over just no spark. If the engine turns out to be unrepairable would the engine and tranny from a 56 like you mentioned fit right in? As far as the open driveline idea, I think I will forget that plan and keep all the original running gear. Don53

I'm not sure about the 56 fitting right in. The 53 was the last year of the higher, shorter. The wheel base was 121.5 and Tire tread on the Super and Roadmaster was 60" front, 59 " rear( as per the standard catalogue of Buick. The engine was 8:0 - 1 compression and HP was 164 @ 4,000 RPM. It has either a stromberg or Carter 2 bbl carb. The Roadmaster had higher hp ( 188 @ 4K) and compression ratio ( 8:5-1), with a 4 bbl.

The 56 had a 122 on the Special and Century and 127 on the Super and Roadmaster. 7 " wheelbase with 59" tire tread at the front and rear in all series. So there has to be some difference in the frame. But I do not know if the engines and tranny will bolt right in. I suspect they will.

The reason for the 56 motor is that in 54 and 55 there was all sorts of engine/ carb / compression ratio differences among the models. But in 56 with the exception of a Special, all the engines were the same, with 9:5-1 compressions, a Carter or Rochester 4 bbl and 255 HP at 4400 RPM. Plus the torque converter and the transmissions have soem technological updates that are desired.

Given the almost insignificant frame size differences, if there are modifications needed to get the 56 engine and tranny in there, they should be doable without re-mortgaging the house.

I understand the 57 is a whole different ball of wax and I can't speak to that set up at all.

JD