Neat Classic Car Site

Roadster90

Guest Greg Ross

Before I found the true faith, was into F*rds so know a bit about the subject & would want to see some documentation since<BR>a) were no factory <a href="http://automotivemileposts.com/prod1964tbird.html">roadsters</a> in 1964<BR>B) the tripower was also a non-starter for 1964<P>Personally like the '66 428 convert with the cove rear seat a lot better. Think that had the first factory 8-track.<P>Still 4,400 lbs was a lot & most felt the 428 (and the 390) was best suited as a boat anchor. For real power you wanted either a 427 side oiler or a 429.

As a LONG time T-bird person I have read that there were a very small number, about 45, 1964 factory roadsters built. Unlike the 62 and 63 they did not have a unique VIN number or data plate code however, they were just a trim option. They did have the wire wheels and the tonneau cover. It is that cover that all the reproduction ones are based on, since it is a different shape than the 62-63 model. In fact I even saw a write-up a while back, with pictures, on how you can tell one of the originals from the reproductions (different trim arrangments). I had read that the tonneau was available from Ford for a do-it-yourself roadster, but I would bet not many, if any, were sold. The rare 64 roadsters have been written up many times in various T-bird sources.