Buick Special compound carburetor.

Zimmerman

My Buick Special 1941 have 2 carburetors.

Have any try to remove the rear carb. (AA-1) and replace it with a AAv-16 ?

And remove the butterfly valve with the counter weight under the rear carb.

Make the carb. linkage to a direct action , so both carb. operate together .

With this setup you will have true doubel carb. with 2 acc. pumps.

The question : Is this a good setup ? Will the gas milage drop ?

Michael (Denmark)

Guest imported_JPIndusi

I would not try to change the original set-up. When properly adjusted this should give reasonable gas mileage with good reserve power.

The only modification I know about is where the entire dual carb (Buick terminology was Compound Carburetion) manifold set-up is removed and single carb manifolds from either a 1940 or a later 1946-49 car are used. In this case the carburetor is changed to a single Stromberg AAV16. This was done during the years these cars were used as drivers because the single carb set-up was better on gas consumption.

Good luck.

Joe, BCA 33493

We have built two custom setups as you describe; but with Carters. Carbs were slightly recalibrated. Strombergs could also be used; albeit the calibration would be more difficult.

Both customers were happy.

Driveability, power, and fuel economy all improved.

And Joe is correct about the single carb installation doing better than simply running on one carb of the dual installation; however running two simultaneously is better than one, assuming a responsible driver.

Jon.

• 7 years later...
We have built two custom setups as you describe; but with Carters. Carbs were slightly recalibrated. Strombergs could also be used; albeit the calibration would be more difficult.

Both customers were happy.

Driveability, power, and fuel economy all improved.

And Joe is correct about the single carb installation doing better than simply running on one carb of the dual installation; however running two simultaneously is better than one, assuming a responsible driver.

Jon.

Seeing as how this was seven years ago, thought I might ask if your opinion about this set-up has remained the same. Just closed on a single carburetor car and plan on going to a double set-up but think I would prefer this as opposed to the original compound set-up.