When does it become an antique or classic car?

dnt

Where I live, the state recognizes a car for classic/antique plate purposes when they are 25 years old. Are some states less than 25 years? Aside from what a state thinks, is there a rule of thumb on how old a vehicle must be for it to be thought of as a classic or antique?

Wisconsin is 20 years. You have to have another vehicle registered in order to get a Collector plate. You are then issued a numbered plate. That number remains yours. If you register another collector car that number is suffixed with a letter. If you register more than 26 cars the number is prefixed with a letter. My number is 24003. I registered my 1961 Comet in 1984. Cost then was a one time fee of $60.00. I will get collector plates for both Reatta's in 2008. You can also get a specialty plate for your non collector car. It is a standard looking plate with your collector number. The phrase "America's Dairyland" is replaced with "Vehicle Collector".

I get a chuckle out of the question "Is that a classic?" or "is that a collector car?". For registration purposes it's a collector car. Other than that I feel the terms "Classic" or "Collector" are subjective when referring to cars.