Speaking of Rear Wheel Bearings

padgett

I have a rear wheel bearing whining at me. Worst at 39 mph indicated though more noticable at 20-40-60. Whines in straight line and when turning to left. Diminishes on right turn.

My inclination is that it is the passenger side (goes away when unloaded) but friend says rears go quiet when loaded and it is the driver's side. Anyone here know which it is most likely to be ? I've changed a number of FW hubs on 3.8s but never a rear before.

At least they are available (Tiken/USA p/n 513041 from AZ is $115 suspect extra expense is for ABS splines.).

Guest dpannell

I replaced both sides during struts and brakes....was simpler than I thought....only 4 bolts each side if I remember right....and well worth it for noise. I bought the parts from Advance...around $87 a side I think with abs. I've put near 10k on them since without noise.

Wish I could help determine which side...but thats tough without experiencing it..

Dave

Guest Greg Ross

I'd be inclined to think it is the drivers' side. Even if theres' no wobble with the weight off the rear wheels you should hear bearing clatter/ munch/ crunch when spinning the wheel by hand.

OK, replaced right rear with new bearing. No change. Put one I took off right onto left rear - still whining. Only one not changed is left front but whine goes away when I turn right.

To reiterate, whine is at road speed, not engine speed (can put in neutral and turn engine off, still there). Noticable above 20, most noticable at 39 mph goes away at 45 then comes back at 60. There when straight ahead and left turns, goes away on right turn.

Suggestions welcome but about to swap the now spare right front to left. Do not like just swapping parts but seem to have no other choice.