Stutz Special

I think "stock" antiques (anything older than 1975 is my definition) are alive and well. I have a buddy that does bone stock prewar classics and he's up to his eyeballs. I'm restoring my Stutz Special, of course it wasn't exactly "stock" when it was new so maybe it falls more in the hot rod category :-).

post-31305-143137959176_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Interesting thread as I don't remember starting it. West??

Anyways, the special was started as a bare Stutz BB chassis in 1928 by Gustav Schumacher of Schumacher Motor Services, Yonkers NY with the intent of building a "sprint car for the street". A wealthy client had provided him with $10,000 towards a total build cost of $20,000. October of 1929 caused a change of plans and the car was eventually completed in 1931/32 by Gustav using his own funds. There is restoration information here: 1928 Schumacher Special (early hot rod) - THE H.A.M.B. as well as additional history and pictures here: www.townisp.com/~alsancle

A.J.

post-31305-143138458819_thumb.jpg

I have a vague recollection of replying to a thread discussing the amount of work being done on hot rods vs. restorations. Perhaps I need a refresher course on the difference between replying to a thread and starting a new one.

I've been trying to keep the hamb thread up to date and didn't think I had the energy to do justice to one here also. However, I can post pictures when there is decent progress.