HELP repacking water pump?

wenthur

I was told that Teflon tape would withstand higher heat and work better. Is this true? What size do you use? Also looking.for a grease fitting for water pump[rear], Any suggestions? Christmas parade coming up and I don't want to break down, The parade is day after Thanksgiving so need help fast. Please Help, Car is "24 Touring.I will pay overnight shipping.

Seems to me we covered this before.

Once in a while you tighten up the nut on the pump especially if it starts to leak. This tightens the packing around the shaft.

When the nut is all the way in you unscrew it wrap some packing material around the shaft and screw it back in.

You can get packing material at plumbing supply houses. It's the same stuff they use in water pumps on hot water heating systems. You don't have to touch the old packing.

The old stuff was an asbestos string impregnated with graphite. No doubt they have something better today.

If it's not leaking gently tighten the nut until it is just snug every few years and don't worry about it.

This is a strange one, after rebuilding the water pump as described the first time, it still leaked a little, so put more string in yesterday, and drove all over town today with no problem, until I got 100' feet from home and water gushed out, stopped to take a look and the pitcock was open, It has always been open without my knowledge and now that pump does not leak the pressure must have shoot out years of a junk plug. turned pitcock and no leaks.

For my 1930 DA I went to the local farm supply store and they had both 1/8" and 1/4" pump packing cord. Oil impregnated graphite like material. I got the 14" and had a heck of a time getting it in far enough to get the nut started, but once I did it hasn't been leaky. Someone had put some rubber gasket in there and it didn't work for beans.

I've been looking for a 1 and 3/16 wrench to use on the nut and haven't found one at the local stores yet. I bet the original car tool kit had one huh?