GT+4 tires

I currently have Goodyear Regatta tires on an 89 Reatta. I need new tires. I am debating between another set of Regattas because they are a quiet, smooth ride. How are the GT+4 tires that Reattas original came with? I have never experienced those since the Regattas have always been on this car. Are the GT+4's quiet and smooth? Are you happy with them. Any comments?

I have my second set of GT +4 on. I find they ride pretty smooth and handle well for my driving (easy winding country road commute) and have had no problem with them but they are fairly noisy. There is a "rumble" that changes tone with different pavement types. Quite noticable compared to my other cars where there is no tire noise so you don't think about it.

I'll have to agree with Buick Mike on this one. The GT+4's are noisy & wear out fast.<BR>I currently have Michelin MX4's and love them. Quiet, long-lasting & great traction in the wet & dry.

My vote goes for Michelin P4000s (H-rated); long wearing, fairly quiet -- and cheap: about $350/set installed/balanced/etc. Currently have P6000s (Z-rated) but they're a harsher ride.<P>Jerry

The GT4 tires that came on my previous ride (Chevrolet) wore out incredibly fast. My Reatta has 37K miles and the stock GT4s are well past needing replacing. A tire in that price range should last twice as long as this. I'd avoid them. And unless you're going racing, do you really need a performance tire?<P>I've had good luck on my previous ride with Bridgestones and Kellys, and I hear good things about Yokohama.

Thanks for the replies about the GT+4's I am now leaning towards Yokohama Avid Touring or Regatta 2's any praises/complaints regarding either of those?

Guest Greg Ross

Can't comment on the GT+4's, I've been running Michelin X-Ones'for three and a half years now and have received exceptionally good value. The original warranty was 6 years "Unlimited" mileage. Wore the first set out, $26. for balancing only on that set. Put a new (third) set on last Saturday and was only charged $18. for the balancing this time around.<BR>The bad news now, they've done away with the "Unlimited" Warranty and so on this set I'm only entitled to pro-rated up to 140,000 Km. Boo Hoo!<BR>Ride is firm, positive handling and I'm very content.

Guest EDBS0

The last set of tires I put on a Reatta were the Yokohama dbs and they are outstanding!!!! smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 <BR><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/yokohama/yo_avs_db.jsp"> see</a><BR>and <a href="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testResultsModel.jsp?tireModel=AVS+dB"> and here </a><P>I had factory GT +4s on my SHO and could easily do a 4 wheel drift on my favorite corner. Upgraded to Dunlop D40m2 and even at ridiculously fast speeds could not drift them. The Yokohamas are much better than the +4s<P>PS I have purchased more tires from Tire Rack than Carter has little liver pills, they are outstanding people.

For anyone interested I picked up a tire in the salvage yard for $10. I tried it on my '88 Reatta and it fit with no scrapping.<BR>So what is the big deal you ask? The tire is a P235/60 R 15 SR rated. Most tire books list P215/70 R 15 for '88