Headlight switch problem

My 1989 has a headlight switch problem. When I turn the headlights off my parking lights remain on. To get them to turn off I have to keep pushing the headlight button on and off until the headlights and parking lights turn off at the same time. Dont know if its a relay or switch problem. Is the relay built into the switch? Hoping someone has ran in to this problem before. If switch how much do they cost. Try to (search) but could not find a related topic.<P>Thanks,

Howdy. I recently installed the walnut dash from a Riviera in my '90 coupe. In the process I took the Riviera headlite switch and attempted to make it work in my car. Needless to say, I dismembered the switches and learned a little about their insides. Basically the head and parking lites are interconnected through some PLASTIC (jGad I hate that crap) arms inside the black HL box. If you turn on the HL then the arm makes the parking lite come on. Conversly, you can turn on the parking lites alone and the HL won't come on. Your problem is that the PLASTIC arm between the two is wearing out. Not repairable!!! The fix is either a switch from a Riviera or a junker Reatta. If you find a Riviera in your year, take the dash facing too as you have to take the dash out anyhow. Dash face has four screws and four or five plugs. Good luck, Sandy. cool.gif" border="0

Guest Ranger

lexor,<BR>Had the same problem with my '90 the other night. Have a new switch from GMPartsDirect, the headlights closed (I think they went out), I pulled the key and got the bell dinging when I opened the door. Looked and the parking lights were on. I pushed the headlight switch twice before the parking lights went out. Any other ideas or could I have a bad switch.<BR>Thanks, <BR>Jim