1929 Dodge Brothers

Guest NAandME

Guest NAandME

Hi, I am new to the site and also antique autos I just purchased a 1929 Dodge Brothers 2 door 4-5 seater with an inline six motor. The car runs and drives well and the car is complete has a couple of minor problems but overall it is in excellent shape inside and out. Is there any books aviliable on making repairs? And what is a close value that this auto may be worth and what is the model 2door coupe? I know it is hard to say with out seeing but it is in great shape all glass is there and works, the lights work, runs and drives great, not any rust, running boards in great shape, spoke oak wheels are in great shape. has the trunk, the front crank, and all the jack and acc. for tire change. Anyway any info would be helpful I really like and enjoy it so far. Thanks Mark

It sounds like you might have what is called a close coupled bodied brougham or victory DA .If it is ,it could be a reasonably rare vehicle . could you post a pic

No pict. that I can open, I would like to see what you have, I have sent you a P.M. with my contact info so that we can get together and figure this out.

I'm quite new to the Dodge Brothers scene too, with a 1930 DA six 4 door sedan, dual side spares, wire spoke wheels and hydraulic brakes. It is in DARN good condition but not a showroom piece and I'm fixing it up. I too have not come across the ideal "manual" because as I'm hearing it... there WERE no manuals, and "parts lists" from like 1933 are as good a picture and description we get. I'm planning on ordering one up, to the tune of $125!

I scanned my owners manual and have it posted at slodude.com along with some pictures of the treasure. It's high res so the pictures are big, I can post smaller if you need but I figured I should do the BEST repro I could.

To the experts:

I got some nifty impregnated graphite packing cord under my water pump nut, seems pretty happy, but I see no holes or nipples or anything to "grease" and part of this area. Do I put some grease under the nut too and squish that in?

I'm also about to remove my distributor to clean and recondition. Do I have to get freaky about marking how it came out and where it was rotated to, or will it pretty much only go back in one way like recent cars. I hear the correct distributor is a Northeast but mine is an Autolite IGS-1 which I'm told is/was easier to get parts for (tune up kit for northeast=$250, mine was $50)

I am excited to meet all you guys that know stuff about these cars! and NAandME, I'd love to trade any info with ya.

Dane / dansk@howalt.com

hELLO

i HAVE JUST INHERITED A 1929 DODGE dA, i BELIEVE IT IS A MODEL CALLED A SPORT PHAETON. i CANNOT FIND ANY INFORMATION ON IT. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS MODEL OR HOW IT IS DIFFERENT FROM A TOURING MODEL?

THANKS

dads dodge

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I am in the middle of a restoration of the same car you describe: a 1929 DA Sports Phaeton. I am fairly certain the word "touring" is often used when describing this vehicle, but in 1929 the description "Sports Phaeton" is actually correct. With Dodge Brothers, the "Sports" part of the name refers to a vehicle with wire wheels and sidemounts.

I am curious to know how complete your 1929 DA Sports Phaeton is and if you would be willing to exchange some info or pictures as I still am missing a few parts such as the side curtain frames/patterns.

Thanks, Joe

Hi joe

The 29 DA dodge I have has wooden wheels and no fender wells so based on your description it may not be a sport phaeton'It is in very good shape, my dad drove it all over New England for years, however he had no side curtains, had to bundle up in racoon coats. So I am still wondering if there are 2 designations, sports phaeton and touring car?

thanks for your help