A/C on high only

Guest JDL

If high blower works, I'd say its 30a inline fuse and relay are working correctly. First I'd make sure the resistor is plugged up tight, then I'd back up to the fuse block and see if anything's blown there. If everything there is good, the master switch on the control head may be bad.

You're sure the compressor is engaging? 68 Toro have that damned compressor hold-in relay, but if the Heat-A/C fuse were blown, there shouldn't be any trigger voltage to activate the relay.

Ohhhhh.... Paul said Comfortron. Now the Comfortron demons will appear! eek.gif

A retired Zone Service Manager told me once that from 1966 (inception) thru 1973 (end of Olds Comfortron), fully half of their zone level service work involved trying to get Comfortrons to work. I have passed on a couple of otherwise nice cars because they had it and it was functioning shall we say, questionably. Tempmatic was a much simpler system and a good idea.

Then you could be like Julian, who found a 67 98 LS whose Comfortron worked perfectly. Two other Mid Atlantic Chapter folks had them at the same time and they didn't work period. One of them bought up all the Comfortron stuff he could find, but sold the car when reverse went out.

I can't tell you how many Comfortron cars I've seen with a toggle switch under the dash for the compressor.

At least Olds Comfortron stuff is fairly easy to find. Friend has a 66 Bonneville Brougham with Pontiac version of it, and parts are nearly nonexistent. They go high when you find them too.

Hey guys, I headed to Lafayette, La for the weekend and to show my car to a couple of buddies. I'll get to work on my a/c soon as. I'll try to snag that resistor too. Thanks. Oh, I have the not so fancy "custom" a/c. Looks like I lucked out!! For a Standard Toro, it's got a lot of the custom options except the comfortron. Cool beans.

That resistor up on eBay says "Auto a/c" which means Comfortron to me. I don't have a book here to check the application. Won't be able to get at my parts book until tomorrow.

I, too, used to be afraid of Comforton equipped cars. Never wanted one due to all the horror stories I have heard. Then I bought my '67 98 and it had it. It always worked good. I had trouble with it twice. The first time the heater control valve was bad. The second time, we had knocked the vacuum plug out while working on the fender. Other than those two incidents, I had no problem with it.

Then I bought a '67 Toro with Comfortron. It was DOA, but I wasn't even afraid of that one. That one turned out to be a loose wire on the control head. After that was repaired, I had no trouble with that one either.

So, bring on the Comfortron demons!

Paul

The eBay auction in question, part number #7301890, is for is for '67 & '68 (and probably '69 & '70 - can't verify it) Toronados with Comfortron. This is the resistor on the servo. This resistor will not work with a manual control A/C car. The part number for '65 to '70 manual a/c cars, except F-85s, is 387519, which was discontinued in November of '87, but is available from:

CHICAGO AUTO PARTS

BOLINGBROOK, IL 60440 (630) 771-0497

SOUTHSIDE AUTOMOTIVE

MINNEAPOLIS, MN 55417 (612) 727-2404

COLLECTORS AUTO SUPPLY.COM

OROVILLE, WA 98844 (800) 414-4462

LLEWELYN OBSOLETE GM PARTS

NORTHRIDGE, CA 91326 (818) 363-5094

Knock yourself out.

Paul