New top for 1913 T

Guest 1913 T

Hello I am getting ready to install a new top on my 1913 T , I have a new top kit in hand but the welting that came with it is just a flat piece of material with no bead or profile at all . Does anybody have any idea where to buy some welting that would look better? I have looked online and in many Model T catalogs and havent come up with much. Most places have the Hi-dem welting wich would hide all the black head tack nails on the front and rear bows. I do not think this would look correct and take away from the look of the car, any help is welcome Thanks

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Mike - I'm working on the same project for a 1914. The welting is supposed to be installed with large headed tacks. The heads on these tacks are about3/8 inch diameter, spaced about 2 inches apart. Before you get too deep into the tacking, suggest you get hold of Mcalley's book "Model T Ford" and look at some of the pictures of tops on these cars. The hide-em welt is absolutely incorrect for a Model T.

Like Neil said, check the pictures in McCalley's reference - page 189 shows a 14 touring and you can clearly see the welting across the front bow. It has a string sewn in on the bottom edge. The top edge of the welt is flat. On page 263 you'll see a good shot of welting on a rear bow of the 1917 "Rip Van Winkle" T, which is a totally unrestored 26 mile original T Touring. The flat welting is wrong.

Recommend you post something on the Model T forums as there must be sources out there. I think there are just one or two companies making the Model T top kids any more and they don't seem to be providing the same quality of stuff they used to.

The welting you received could be modified to work by simply sewing in a string but for the price you paid you shouldn't have to rework it.

Terry