Need Info on Amazing 1950 Lead Sled Hot Rod on 1939 Ford Chassis

georgealbrightg

I just purchased the amazing lead sled hot rod pictured below off of e-bay last week. It is huge, approx. 17' long. The vehicle was built around 1950 with a 1939 Ford stretched chassis. It currently has a flat head 8 in it, though one person mentioned it might have had a Lincoln V-12 in it at one time. The front and rear fenders are off of a late 40's Lincoln Continintal. The front fenders are in fact Lincoln rear fenders turned backwards! The grill is from a 1946-48 Nash. This vehicle has been rumored to have been featured in one or more late 40's - 1950's car magazines. However at this point, that as well as the name of the builder of the vehicle remains a mystery. Please circulate these photos and info with your friends, and feel free to post this on the various hot rod chat rooms and web sites. We will have it at Big Daddy Don Garlits museum in Ocala FL tomorrow. Then the fun begins! Thanks, George Albright, Ocala FL cell 352-843-1624 email gnalbright@gmail.com

post-35826-143137953204_thumb.jpg

Not really a "Lead Sled", but one of the many backyard sports cars built after WWII. Popular Mechanics had a set of plans to build one. I am almost positive that I had a picture of this car but, unfortunatly, I sold my magazine collection last year. It's a neat old car, though and deserves to be restored.