'68 Toronado Nose Emblem and Scripts

Guest JDL

Does anyone know of source for the nose emblem, front script, and / or rear script for a '68 Toronado? Fusick or USA Parts does not have any of it. Thanks

James

You can find NOS pieces on ebay every so often. The grille, front fender and trunk scripts are common to 1968-69, but that 68-only nose Rocket may be hard to find. They usually took a beating and most true 68 bumpers have only holes where the Rocket should be.

I'll try to dig up some part #s for you when I'm back with my parts books.

There was a "Cutlass S" front emblem on ebay that recently sold. I tried to ask the seller what the dimensions were several times, but he never answered my questions. His ebay name was myfast68. The picture he had on the listing looked correct, but there was no shot from the back of the emblem so I passed on it. I probably should have bought it at $24.00. My front script is in nice shape, but the paint has come off and my back script got sandblasted by "accident" when it was at the body shop. I bought the "oldsmobile" plate for the '66/'67 from Fusick. I'll double stick it on one day. It's close enough for me. Thank you for your time, RR.

James

I think that's a 68 Cutlass hood emblem. It's curved to fit the hood contour, so I doubt it would have worked on your Toro.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my back script got sandblasted by "accident" when it was at the body shop</div></div>

That's why, when one of mine goes in, everything that can be removed is off the car before it gets there. Body shops have a bad habit of damaging or losing stuff.

I sent my 73 Delta convert for paint. Everything was off the car except the outside door handles. When they called me to come pick it up, there was a DA sander swipe across the driver's door handle. And I hit the roof. A buddy of mine who had that shop's paint accounts told me later I'd raised enough hell to get the kid fired. So be it. Maybe he learned to take a little more pains with his work.

GM part # for the bumper emblem is 230459. Front grille Toronado emblem is 230458. Front grille by Oldsmobile emblem is 230457. Rear Toronado emblem is 7738025. Rear by Oldsmobile emblem is 7736120. All of these numbers are long discontinued with no supercedence history. I could not find any inventory through my sources.

Paul

Glenn and Paul, Thanks for the help. I'm so close to being done done done with this car I can taste it. I've spent more time at this site in the last few days than I have the whole ten years I've been working on the car. Seems like I should have opened my eyes sooner. Still, thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...