Feathering in a spot paint job

Guest oakland

Guest oakland

I would like to some touch up on my 63 Riviera. I got some spray cans of the matching paint. My question is how do I go about masking and spraying it to blend into the existing paint. I heard of feathering in the paint, but don't know exactly how to do it. Do you just mask and spray the affected part or do you have to go out further in order to blend it in? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

You're not going to get good results using a spray can.

At the very least you need a paint gun and compressor.

If the color is a metallic then it's even trickier.

If I have to blend a door for instance, I'll blend into the front fender and the quarter. I use a wide fan on my gun and spray in very light coats.

Feathering the paint is where several layers of paint/primer are smoothed into each other.

You don't want to sand a blend job if it's just color.. If the panel has been cleared then you can get by with sanding.

There's more to this, but this will give you a basic idea.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 31Ford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Almost impossible........!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 31Ford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Almost impossible........! </div></div>

True! I've had to blend almost the entire side and part of the hood once... It was one of those tri-coat systems used on the modern iron. One of the many reasons I don't work on modern cars-- also I don't own any metric tools.

be thankful 31 ford that you are not working on british motorcycles.. they can have umteen different threads and sizes, as then can have metric, imperial, british witworth, British Standard, and British bicycle, and on the same bike or car...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest oakland

Thanks Lenny, but I live in Indiana. I appreciate your offer to help. I have the car put away for the winter. Will try something next spring.