Wire Gage

bluetaxi

I am planning to re-wire the six volt positive ground electrics on my '32 Studebaker at the same time I add turn signals, LED tail lights and halogen headlights. I have all the bulbs, parts and pieces, but am looking for advice on wire gage (10 or 12?) for re-wiring the car. Advice?

10 or 12 is going to be incredibly large for some circuits, especially some lighting. Why not get a repro harness from Rhode Island wiring, Naragansett productions or Y n' Zs auto, all done, the right gauges, colors terminals, everything. They will add all the wires you want for turn signals, whatever.

10 or 12 is going to be incredibly large for some circuits, especially some lighting. Why not get a repro harness from Rhode Island wiring, Naragansett productions or Y n' Zs auto, all done, the right gauges, colors terminals, everything. They will add all the wires you want for turn signals, whatever.

You can speak to the tech guy at Rhode Island Wiring. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. I recently bought a harness for my '32 Franklin, and it was perfect in every way. They will also customize the harness to accommodate turn signals, or anything else.

Rick, You should use the 10 Gauge wire for the headlight circuits (battery to head light switch, switch to headlight sockets and headlight socket ground leads). If you have an ammeter, use 10 Gauge wire from the battery to the ammeter and from the ammeter to the ignition switch (terminal). The 12 gauge is adequate for all other circuits. Also, check whick type of directional relay you have. Some relays need a minimum amount of current to flow through it to make and break the circuit. The LED tail lights won't draw enough current to make the relay work. If that occurs, purchase a heavy duty relay which is a relay that will operate regardless of the amount of current going though it. Heavy duty relays are intended for turn signal circuits when a trailer is added which causes the circuit to flash much faster than normal. Despite its name, you would still use it.

Thank you, Friartuck, for the definitive answer. In this application, I would rather build my own harness, so your reply was right on the money. (Thanks also to those that recommended the excellent product from Rhode Island Wiring (I have used their products).

Is it possible to use a standard 6V flasher for the LED lights if a resistor is placed in the circuit? If so, how big?

I will look for a 6v "heavy duty" flasher relay as well.

Thanks again to all.

Rick, Yes you can use the resister approach to draw more current and allow the flasher to toggle on and off, but isn't that defeating the purpose of using the LED's, to lower current draw? The size of the resister would be in the single digit range, perhaps 5 ohms or so. More so is the heat range or wattage rating of the resister. It should have a 5 watt rating, 10 watt preferred. They are recognized by their ceramic or stone appearance that is needed to dissipate the heat and prevent burn out. Suggest using the heavy duty flasher before going this route. They should still be available over the counter at most auto parts stores like NAPA (even in Alaska) and may need to be ordered . If you get stuck, e-mail me directly.

Chris