1952 desoto brakes?

tank68gto

hi again?, in what location of the car would i find the master cylinder? when i bought the car and pushing it up the drive-way it was 5 of us guys and we where having a hard time (yes it was on neutral) also when i sat on the car in pushed on the brakes and it goes up and down buti feel no pressure on the pedal, is that what it's suppose to feel like? if not where should i start looking to fix the problem?

*thanks everyone i'll probably be ask questions like these for the next few months-ALEX

1952desoto3.jpg

Guest leadsled1953

i believe its under the front floorboard on the drivers side.should be an access plate under the carpet/floor mat for you to get to it.

Roll back the carpet on the driver's side. Under the carpet there is a hole in the floor covered by a metal plate or possibly a rubber cover. Remove this cover and you will see the top of the master cylinder.

The master cylinder has a plug that screws in. You need a big wrench to take it off, I think it is 7/8.

Before you take the cap off clean around it carefully by blowing with an air hose or at least brushing the dirt away with a rag, you don't want dirt falling in your brake cylinder.

Look inside, that is the brake fluid reservoir. It will probably be dry. Put in some fluid and try pumping the brakes gently.

The brakes may start working. Or maybe not.

You may also see fluid dripping under the car. This means there is a leak someplace, which is why there was no fluid in the first place.

If the brakes start working OK they might be good enough for moving the car around the yard but I wouldn't trust them until you have a good mechanic inspect them carefully, including taking the wheels off.

Remember in those days there was no dual master cylinder, any brake failure means complete failure, as in no brakes at all.

Guest leadsled1953

as Rusty said it's single master clyinder.so be prepared to go over the brake system and get it working 100 percent.you have 6 wheel cylinders plus the master to rebuild.replace the lines.you can go dot 5 fluid .if you go dot 3 or 4 remember to flush it a least every 2 years.