1938 Special - air cleaner collection

jeff

I need some quick help with my growing collection of air cleaners for my '38 Special. Here's my problem - I currently run with a Stromberg AAV 167 and a Burgess brand air cleaner. Its small, and had to be modified at the bottom to fit the diameter of the carb. I suspect it may be a bit restrictive as well. Plus, you can't take the element out to clean it. So, I have been looking for the right air cleaner.

I bought a correct-looking one last year - too tall and doesn't clear the choke housing.

I got a correct AC air cleaner this week, complete with the right decal, off of a '38 Buick with Stromberg 167. It is still too tall!

Can some of you '38 Buick guys advise on carb spacing (my spacer is 1/2 inch),and/or AAV1 vs AAV16 vs AAV167 carb heights and air cleaner compatibility?

PS. I am pretty sure the AAV167 is the legitimate replacement for the Marvel carb.

Jeff

With three air cleaners now at your disposal, you could put together a nice arrangment of dried flowers by turning them upside down and placing them on your dining room table for a nice Fall decor. This could be used all the way up through and including Thanksgiving. Don't forget to use a doily under your unique vases so as not to damage the table.

(This is directly from page 35 of the lastest issue of Martha Stewart's <span style="font-style: italic">Living Behind Bars</span> magazine.)

Peterson, you're on to something here. While the rest of my good friends are researching and measuring, I knew I could count on you for a solution that even our wives will appreciate. In fact, I am so impressed with your advice, that I will bring one of my air cleaners over yet this afternoon! I will place it on your dining room table. Check it out when you get home. Don't worry, to further protect your table, I will run it through your dishwasher first.

One of your friends that's doing careful measuring and research has politely (sort of) corrected me. He believes a still life with fruit will work much better than the dried flower arrangement.

Sorry. I'll get serious now.

Here's a solution, and you don't even need to modify anything under the hood. No, I'm not talking about removing the hood (and body). What about using one of the oil-bath units???

I'm assuming that there isn't the chance of your manifold being from a bigger series Buick. Would that be assuming too much?

post-33613-143137950016_thumb.jpg