Sealing a new concrete driveway

Bob Stein

I am getting a new double parking pad and driveway installed at the house this weekend - I'd like to seal the new concrete from inevitable oil stains (I own a Crosley, a Willys, an MG, and two 1939 Packards. OK, the Packards are too well-mannered to leak, but the rest have no manners at all!). Anyone out there have suggestions on a good sealer?

Guest Chucks70

Bob,

Try reading this... http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/DOD/UFGS/UFGS%2009%2097%2023.16.pdf

There are a number of different types of sealers available. Most Villages and State Transportation Departments require linseed oil emulsion to be used on concrete that will need to withstand extreme conditions (such as salt, traffic, etc.). Linseed oil emulsion can be sprayed over the top of fresh/green concrete before it sets (usually after the sheen has evaporated from the concrete surface but before the concrete sets/hardens) or be applied after the concrete has hardened, by brooming or using a rough texture paint roller to work the emulsion onto the concrete surface. Read the attachment for application rates. Word of caution, do not use linseed oil/mineral spirits on new concrete, only linseed oil emulsion should be used.

Talk with your concrete contractor. I'm sure he will be able to offer you a sealer to be applied after he edges and brooms the driveway surface. If he doesn't offer that service, he may be able to tell you where you can find the material. Your town's local engineering dept./public works can also provide some good product information on concrete sealers.

Hope this helps,

That's fine for a garage floor but most sealers make a driveway quite slippery for a few years. We had a patterned concrete driveway installed about 12 years ago. The main approach is a little steep. For the first two winters we had to have a couple of friends 2WD cars towed out of our driveway.

It's not all that bad when it rained but it was real bad in the snow.