63 glove box lock

petelempert

I've had my 63 for one year now and still can only get the glove box open by gently coaxing the lock and prying carefully with a screwdriver. Not cool. It seems that the lock has lost it's spring action. I got behind the dash and can see the back of the lock, but can't figure out how to get the lock off. There seems to be a (maybe two) small plastic tab holding it in. Do I need to take the middle section dash trim off to get at it? Also any tips on how to straighten the minor ripples in the lower corner of the brushed trim?...I'd like to save this piece if possible. Thanks.

I went and looked at a glove box section that I have out of a parts car. (The right panel, including the right A/C vent ball.) It looks to me like, if you remove the glove box liner, you can remove 2 screws from inside the glove box opening and the lock should slide straight back (toward the front of the car) and out. The lock has already been removed from the panel I am looking at, so it is hard to know for sure. Hope that helps.

Guest Jerome

It seems like nearly all first generation Rivs have the telltale bent lower left corner of the glove box. It happens when people have to pry the door open. It seems like the culprit is the lock screws themselves. They loosen over time and the lock slips out of alignment with the door latch and the door won't open. Loosening the screws, realigning the lock and retightening the screws will usually do the job.

Jerome