1951 FRAZER

frazer

• 2 weeks later...

In 1951, both the hardtop and convertible models carried the Manhattan name. 152 hardtops and 131 convertibles were built. Until recently, I owned the last convertible built. It's Arena Yellow with a black leather interior. The previous owner let it sit outside in rust belt weather so although it only had 60K on the clock, it was a basket case. I swapped it for a load of parts to restore my hardtop Manhattan. That one has 33K on it but the town drunk owned it so there isn't a straight panel on the car!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimkf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In 1951, both the hardtop and convertible models carried the Manhattan name. 152 hardtops and 131 convertibles were built. Until recently, I owned the last convertible built. It's Arena Yellow with a black leather interior. The previous owner let it sit outside in rust belt weather so although it only had 60K on the clock, it was a basket case. I swapped it for a load of parts to restore my hardtop Manhattan. That one has 33K on it but the town drunk owned it so there isn't a straight panel on the car! </div></div>

Where's the pics of those Manhattans? smile.gif

I found the pics of those Frazers for sale.

I remember he telling me that the yellow/white convertible is first one built:

5_1951Frazer_1.jpg

Another one:

6_1951Frazer_2.jpg

6_1951Frazer_1.jpg

Hardtop :

7_1951Frazer_1.jpg

God I would like to have one!! A hardtop ! whistle.gif

I received these pics 4 years ago.

These cars are kind of where you find them. There's a web sit called Kaiser Frazer Nut or just KF Nut with a lot of nice pics and history, including a '51 living in Scandinavia.

The real treat in '51 was the Vagabond. Arguably the first real "hatchback." My father had one for a work/hunting car for years. Back seat folded down for a huge flat bed, almost as big as a short-box pickup. The trunk and back window were both hinged and opened up a big entry.

Always was a good-looking early-50's car. Underpowered and underbraked, though. The "Henry J" 2-doors looked quite similar in front and were rodded quite a bit.

That chocolate-colored one on the Initial Post is a real beauty. Just goes to show what kind of neat products they could come up with when there was such a thing as independent manufacturers.

Here you go:

http://public.fotki.com/kfnut/the_frazer_fraternity/