Correct Wheel Cover/Hubcaps for 1964

alex bonino

As I become more familiar with my recent acquisition, (a 64)more detailed inspections are revealing more things that need to be addressed, and my punch list is growing. Among these are determining what the available hub cap options were for the Riviera in 64.

My Riv currenty has 3 "turbine" style wheel covers with flat black painted fins and convex (rounded end caps) and 1 that looks very similar, but has a concave (sunken) end cap. In researching various pics of Rivs on the net, I've noticed both styles, along with a wire wheel version with a spinner style end cap. So, what were the available wheel options for 64? I'd like to wind up with 4 covers that match and are correct for that year.

And one last question. Is the stock carpet material loop or cut pile?

thanks again, all.

alex

There were three covers, the standard "tin" cover, and an optional simulated wire wheel cover and the cast aluminum covers. The wire cover had a two bar spinner on it, with the stylized Riviera R (silver) on a black background. The cast aluminum cover is a two piece unit. The cast aluminum part is bolted to the steel wheel from the rear with four nuts (studs are in the cast aluminum part and stick through 4 small holes in the Rivieras steel wheel.) The center of the cast aluminum piece is filled with a stainless knock off piece, also a two spinner unit. The center of the knock off has a large black plastic piece in it with the silver Riviera R. It was not unusual to see the tire monkey smack the knock off right in the middle of the plastic part and crack it. The centers of the turbines are painted a dark charcoal grey, not black. 63's had the same option but the center of the knock off was a silver Buick tri-shield and they were not painted.