Need American LaFrance Radiator

ak

John,

There are a number of things to consider when it pertains to radiators for an American LaFrance. Of course one of the major issues is the chassis that the truck is built on.

Is the truck a 400, 500, 600, 700 series? Is the truck on a commercial chassis?? (like Ford, Chevy, International, etc.)

Once you've identified that, then you can go to the next step.

Three places where you may have luck finding what you need are the following:

1. American LaFrance Owners network (they have a website).

2. SPAAMFAA (they have a website).

3. Mahlon Irish - I can't remember his website, but if you do a google search and type in 'Homeville Antique Fire Department' you will find Mahlon's e-mail address. Mahlon has s collection of 12? antique fire trucks just north of Binghamton, NY in which most of his trucks are American LaFrance, and he buys and sells a lot of American LaFrance parts. If Mahlon doesn't have it, he should be able to direct you to someone who does.

4. American LaFrance museum / factory.

Between those four websites, you should be able to find what you need. There is also a guy who sets up on the edge of the Red field every year at Hershey.

Not knowing where you are from, I have been told by the local KME salesman, that KME has a fire truck 'bone yard' near their factory in Pennsylvania. I have never been down there, but I have been told of that as well.

My father and I recently restored a 1942 American LaFrance built on a Ford chassis, so those are some of the connections that we used to find the parts that we needed. I will say from firsthand experience that American LaFrance parts that were built on commercial chassis versus the American LaFrance 'custom' chassis, are two trucks of a totally different beast. The discharge valves, levers, etc. are nothing close to being the same.

GOOD LUCK!!