Oil Filter Conversion

nifty 6

Have a 1956 with the 324 that has the canister filter system. I understand there is a conversion to mount a spin on filter. Anybody have any experience with these? Is it a good idea to do it? http://webpages.charter.net/dhomstad

Have no problems getting filters just looking at making the oil change a bit more enjoyable. For your oil questions try www.bobistheoilguy.com also http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Thanks

Guest imported_pete324rock

heres what I know.When I was searching the web to see just what price the ch106pl canister filter is going for in other markets,I remember finding a site where some guy was complaining that the filters were defective or something-not the right size and thus didn't seal.I looked at my own new filter and didn't see a problem.Another site offered the advice not to change the original design since the spin -on filter adapter doesn't provide enough protection or something of that sort.I agree its a drag to change those cannister types plus the added cost of them-nearly 20 bucks for a fram-and they come all the way from Turkey which is odd.I looked at the web sites you posted briefly-what is the conclusion of it all in regards to oil for a '56 olds?

I have heard nothing but good about the spin on conversation. I have every intention of putting one on my car, but the car has more places that need $55 before buying the conversation. My car has been under the ax for many months, so the filter isn't an issue at this time, but I will definately put one on when the time comes. Modern filter design is so far superior to what was available 50 years ago. The spin on also has an anti-drain back valve so you aren't starting a dry engine every time.

My manual says to only change the filter every other time you change oil. After changing the filter once, I see why they say that...! It's not a fun thing to do..1

I installed a spin on oil filter adapter a few months ago on my 1950 Olds 88. Got the adapter from David Homstad of Rosemount, MN. Telephone (952) 432-3596 or email DHomstad@chater.net

It is very important to follow the instructions on installing the adapter. Make absolutely sure you do not have a old gasket left in the area where you are installing the new one. Unless you shine a light in there, you will

probably not even see the old one. Long story short, you will NOT get a good seal IF you have an old gasket in there.

Permatex Ultra Copper is the recommended sealant. It takes about 24 hours to cure.

I'm using AC Delco Oil Filter PF1218 which I believe is a GMC truck one and it has a little more capacity than some others.

So far, it has worked like a champ. David's adapter is a high quality heavy duty one. I think I'm getting a slightly higher oil pressure reading too.

• 3 months later...

Update. I've put off changing the spin on filter for fear

the base would come loose and start leaking. I finally did it last weekend and it worked like a champ. Much easier and less mess than the original setup. No leak.

Bill V. 1950 Olds 88, black

while engine was out of car and apart I drilled and tapped oil holes where the oil filter block off plate is at right rear of block, for 3/8 pipe, I believe, Ran about 4-6 " hose to oil filter adapter #89762 mounted to a bracket I built that attatches to pan rail and use a Baldwin B-2 filter. I believe the adapter/remote mount is about $20. The rest is time. This engine is up and running and I believe this works just fine.