Source for 6-volt fuel tank sending units

Andy Ott

I'm working on the fuel systems for several antique car projects, and they are all coming down to the same problem - where can I get the float-type sending units for these fuel tanks? Where can I get compatible gages that work with the 6-volt electrical systems? My current projects are 1929 Dodge DA (about 6" deep tank); 1928 Stutz (about 9" deep tank); and 1927 Marmon (about 14" deep tank). All these tanks have separate fuel line connections, so the sending units don't require a line connection, so they are pretty simple. I recognize that any currently available sending units probably mount with the standard SAE 5-screw flange, and thoat would be fine, since I'll probably have to make an adaptor plate no matter what I do. Where can I get the dimensioned drawing for the standard SAE mount?

Unfortunately most of the websites I've checked have repalcements for more modern tanks, but nowhere can I find the simple old-fashioned float-type senders. Help me at andrewott@aol.com

• 1 month later...

Fuel sending units don't give one whit about the voltage. They vary the resitance to make the guage work.

As an example 1939 Buick fuel gauage will read empty at 0Ω and full at 32Ω. A 1956 Buick can use the SAME sending unit even though the 39 is a 6volt system and the 56 is a 12Volt car.

You NEED to know what range of resistance the GUAGE needs to operate between to read correctly. Different cars used different range values.

Took me forever to find the ohm symbol on the keyboard Ω

Bill