Trying to identify my 1936 Buick, Please Help!

Guest LoveofClassics

Guest LoveofClassics

I just recently came across this 1936 Buick and although not generally my style and way above my current skill level I purchased it. It seems like it is in solid shape for its age although it was in the process of going down hill fast. I have been doing research on this site and some others but don't understand what this car is. There are series 40/50/60/80 and they all have models that look like my car. Please help me identify what this car is or point me to a website that may help me. I am trying to get pictures at the end of the post but the preview post is not showing them. Mabey I have to submit...

Thank you

Karl

Buickfront.jpgBuickback.jpg

Guest LoveofClassics

Thanks, I found your site through google before and read through alot of it but your pictures don't show up on my computer. It is still a great site and has been very helpful.

I found my tag under the blower motor. It was mounted on top of it so after I removed that, there it was. It says mod: 41 so does that mean it is a series 40 and if so that is the low end model right? Here is a picture.

tag.jpg

The 1936 Model 41 was the most popular car that year with a production total of 77,007. You have a five passenger four door sedan with new innovations like turret top, alloy pistons, improved water temperature control, and improved independent fron suspension. Buick touted the top speed of your car to be 85 mph! I wouldn't call that low end for other cars of the time.

The body style is considered to be one of the most desireable "Art Deco" designs of the era. These cars really have a great presence at any old car gathering. I actually prefer the smaller size Buicks because they fit in my garage..... You are lucky to have one.

Guest imported_Thriller

The paint code is Chateau Green with Medium Cream stripe / trim. I don't have any 1936 materials to decode the interior trim number.

That's a great car. Even though it may be the smaller series, as Mark said, it is wonderful styling and for a "small" car, it still has a bigger interior than a modern "large" car...I speak from experience with my '41.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Karl:

Just to clarify how Buick model numbers work: The first digit will be a 4, 6, 8,or 9, which is for a Special (4), Century (6), Roadmaster (8) or Limited (9).The second digit may be a 0 (4 door sedan straight backed), 1 (4 door sedan trunk backed), 6 (2 door coupe). 8 (2 door sedan). the 3rd digit, if there is one may be a C (convertible) or S (Sport Coupe0. Not all models were made each year. If you look at yours, it's a Special 4 door sedan trunk backed, which makes it a Model 41.

The differences are acually quite large, and you must be VERY careful when buying parts, because things look similiar, but don't fit!!

Another way of looking at it is, Special is small engine, small body, Century is big engne, small body, Roadmaster is big engine, small version of big body, and Limited is big engine, big version of big body.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Karl:

Just to clarify how Buick model numbers work: The first digit will be a 4, 6, 8,or 9, which is for a Special (4), Century (6), Roadmaster (8) or Limited (9).The second digit may be a 0 (4 door sedan straight backed), 1 (4 door sedan trunk backed), 6 (2 door coupe). 8 (2 door sedan). the 3rd digit, if there is one may be a C (convertible) or S (Sport Coupe. Not all models were made each year. If you look at yours, it's a Special 4 door sedan trunk backed, which makes it a Model 41.

The differences are acually quite large, and you must be VERY careful when buying parts, because things look similiar, but don't fit!!

Another way of looking at it is, Special is small engine, small body, Century is big engine, small body, Roadmaster is big engine, small version of big body, and Limited is big engine, big version of big body.

Regards, Dave Corbin