1974 Buick convertible

vrod

I need some opinions again!

I have been looking for an older car but this newer one came up. It is a 1974 Buick convertible in decent shape - it will need some cleaning and it has been sitting a pretty long time - all in all it is in great shape and would not need a lot of work. It has a 455 in it - it would need new carpet. paint is not perfect but isn't bad ( for me).

I just am asking for opinions on this car since I have no clue of a value. I know it is a hard question to answer since there are so many variables to a value but I just wanted to get an idea.

I hope people give me some opinions.

Thanks!!

I think I found out a few things about this car - just need to know if I am right about them.

It isn't very collectible - the 455 motor has a lot less horsepower then the years before this.

I just thought since I could get it cheap that it would be a good starter car. Plus I know the car will not be in the shape it is in now from where the guy has it parked. I just hate to see things go to crap if it can be saved!

Thanks.

You did not indicate the model, but I believe the LeSabre is one possibility, but any convertible is of some merit, depending on the condition of the car.

I am not an expert, in this era, but others that are may add some comments. It would be good if you could add some pictures and/or better explaination of conditions (rust through, engine and tranmission running, etc) to allow others that are more knowledgible on these cars to offer comments.

John

Guest imported_Thriller

According to the <span style="font-style: italic">Standard Catalog of Buick</span>, the LeSabre Luxus is the only convertible for 1974. I know a fellow who is slowly working on one locally.

Just because it won't win horsepower wars or be as powerful as a GS with a Stage I, it is still a respectable engine. Also, being "relatively" modern, mechanical parts should be easier to come by than for some of the older cars. It should also have seat belts, which is a very valid concern, particularly if children or grandchildren are in the picture.

The thing that would concern me is how complete is the car, especially with respect to trim items that won't be introduced yet.

Honestly, how many of these do you see at a show? If they aren't being saved now, there won't be any in the future. I would suggest that this car is worthy of restoration, if it is something you like. If you decide not to take it on, please consider posting contact information for the owner as someone on the forum might be interested. Another point to consider is that, since these aren't highly sought after, you should be able to get it for a decent price. As you get it to a point of being a nice car, then people will appreciate it.

At the National meet, there was a Century - I forget, but it was either '74 or '75...there was nothing else like it, and so it did stand out and it was nicely done.

There's my 2 cents Canadian, for what it's worth.

Thanks for the few replies!

John - Sorry about the model - yes it is the Le Sabre model in black

Thriller - thanks for your opinon also! The car is very complete and no rust that I saw. I noticed that inside it needs carpet and the glove compartment door needed fixed. Other then that the inside looked very good. I tried to take pictures but where it is stored it is very dark, so they did not come out.

I guess th emain concern I have is how do you check a car motor out if it has not been ran in a very long time? I kow with the vintage snowmobiles I got, I just sprayed gas in the carb and made sure they fired and also did a compression check. The guy sai dhim and his wife parked it in the old garage when they picked it up, then she got sick and pasted away and he never drove it since. I figured that a old car that needed fixed up alot was not for me and this car seems to have everything and it all looks good ( but not perfect). Would $2000 be to high for a car like this?

Thanks

Guest imported_Thriller

How long has the car been sitting? It may need a bit more prep than a snowmobile would. At minimum, a bit of oil (motor oil is fine, Marvel Mystery Oil or Lucas oil additive work too) in each cylinder will help to prepare it for turning over. You don't want to try running it on old gas (although it may work), so either drain the tank and put in fresh gas, or run the fuel line to a jerry can when you try to turn it over. Longer term, brakes and any rubber items will need a going over. I didn't see a mention of how long it has been sitting...that will impact as well. As long as the floor isn't rusted out, the carpet should be reasonable enough to replace.

It sounds like with a bit of care, it could be a nice driver without going whole hog on it. There are a few online price guided - one here (VMRINTL.com) shows a #4 car being at around $2000 and a #3 at $5k. Manheim Gold Book has a different way of showing condition, but they have roughly similar values.

There were a number of different 455s in 1974 with hp ratings of 190 (2-bbl carb), 210, 230, 245 (Stage 1), and 255 (Riviera only according to my source). There were 3627 of these made with a shipping weight of 4372 lb. It's no GSX, but I'm sure it would be a bit more spirited than my '62 Special with the V6.

Good luck with your decision. I hope the information and opinion I have provided is helpful.

Sounds to me you have a winner unless the frame is rusted through--buy it. The biggest battle you are going to have is getting her to run right because of the gunk in the carb from sitting and the hoses rotted for the pollution crap to operate correctly. All easy stuff to fix. There are several ways to start a car that has sat, I'd say get her out of there, flat bed it to its destination then begin. I let my car sit for about 5 years, battery quit--I know my bad. Anyway, was impatient to bring her back to life. Threw a new battery in, cranked till oil pressure was up then fired her up. Ran great, still does. Glad I had it trailered because if I would have drove her I would have blown a tire, huge split in left rear. I don't recommend running on old rubber.

thriller - Your information was very helpful!

I just want to thank everyone again for the replies - being a newbie with the car thing, I need as much help as I can!

I am still not sure about the car but will have a good friend of mine go with me and check things out since he has been a mechanic/race car builder and I am sure he knows what to look for and check.

Thanks again!

As an owner of a 74 LeSabre Luxus convertible (455) I agree with Thriller, I don't see many of these at local car shows (here in NJ anyway) and I'd like to see more people preserving these big cars from the '70s. while it's certainly a matter of personal taste, I like this car alot. Thought you might also find this helpful: the VIN will tell you what kind of 455 it is - the 5th digit (after 4P67): P=455 2bbl, R = 455 2bbl with dual exhaust, T = 455 4bbl (my car), U=455 4 bbl dual exhaust, V= 455 4 bbl Stage 1, dual exhaust. 1,613 of 3,627 convertibles in '74 had a 455 engine. (230 were 2 bbl, 1,186 were 4 bbl, and 197 were Stage 1. This according to Sloan Museum in Flint, MI). Sloan can also provide a dealer order sheet for a '74 so you can see where it started, what options it had, what color it was, etc. I found this kind of interesting for my car. While certainly not a muscle car, my car has plenty of power and rides nicely at 75 mph. I know there are a few forum regulars who have or like the big '70s Buicks, and there was a good article in the Bugle in April 2006 about the full size 71-72 Buicks, you might find this helpful. (The b-body LeSabre was very similar from 71-76). Good luck!

74455 - Wow thanks for all the information! I have to ask if the different kinds that you listed made a lot different horsepower? I will be checking the VIN number out - thank you very much for that! Did you do work on yours or was it in very good shape when you bought it?

Thanks again!!

I think the 455 4bbl has 210 hp, but I don't know for sure. I thought I had this information but I looked through my files and could not find it. Not sure of the difference in hp between the 455 engines. Maybe someone else on the forum knows about the hp ratings? Check out www.buicks.net for production numbers and for the engine ID information using the VIN. To answer your question about my car, it was in pretty good shape when I bought it 2 years ago, mostly a Southwest car so no rust issues. I have had mechanical work done (complete tune up, new belts and hoses, new starter, new water pump, rebuilt carb, new heavy duty radiator, and also new carpeting, new tires, new door and trunk rubber, rebuilt the factory am/fm stereo because I wanted to keep things original as possible.). The prior owner had installed new springs 7 years ago, and a new top was put on 10 years ago, based on the receipts I have. If you need window "belt line" moldings like I did, or any door or trunk rubber, I found good stuff at Restoration Specialities in PA.

Guest imported_Thriller

<span style="font-weight: bold">Engine Code / HP / Comments</span>

ZI / 175 / 2-bbl

ZH / 190 / 2-bbl

ZF / 210 / 4-bbl

ZK / 230 / 4-bbl

ZS / 245 / Stage 1

ZA / 255 / Riviera GS

That is according to <span style="font-style: italic">Catalog of American Car ID Numbers 1970-1979</span> put out by Cars & Parts Magazine. I can't attest to the accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a buick, but I passed on a similar car, a '76 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham that was like new except for a rusty rear bumper and some wear on the driver's arm rest.

I could have had it for $1000 but passed due to the 267000 miles even though I know the owner and trusted that it was maintained to factory specs for the last 30 years.

Kicking myself now.......it sold Friday.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I talked him down on the price of the car but I really need an expert to check the car out for me. Would there be anyone near York, PA that would go and check the car out with me and see if it is worth buying? I think it is but checking the major things out, I am not comfortable doing. Hope someone that knows about these cars and what all to look for will help me out, since I do not won't to buy something that needs tons of work done to it.

Thanks for any help,

Doug

York, PA

If anyone can do this, please email me at Lwiker@aol.com