Tires for Side-Draft

Steve Braverman

I was wondering what people's experiences were with different tire brands on their Franklins. I currently have Custom Classics on my '32, and they are just about worn out. I like the look, but I'm not sure about the performance of these tires. The tires were new when I got the car, and I was told by a couple of knowledgeable Franklin owners that the Custom Classics were not the best (or horrible depending on who you ask). Now after almost 10k miles of driving on them I think I agree. They are loud, and they seem to grab onto grooves in the road and make the car wander.

I guess my question is, are any others any better? The Custom Classics do look the most authentic on a Franklin, and they are a little cheaper than others. Will a Firestone or BF Goodrich perform any better? Does anyone have any first-hand experience? Is 10k miles the limit for tires on this car? I guess for most people 10k miles will last for decades, but I've racked up this many miles in only seven years.

Steve,

Just about any of the narrow, straight tread tires will be quite. Just don't go out in a snow storm !!!!!!

Check out the Good Year Silvertowns. They come highly rated by a Conn. Franklin-ite who puts a few thousand miles a year on a very nice 32 Club Sedan. I've driven that car and they are smooth and quite running.

Firestone 6.00/6.50 are quite, but they are a smaller outside diameter by almost a couple of inches. Some think they look too small on a big Franklin.

Lesters are quite, but I haven't heard anything about them now that Universal is making them.

Paul Fitz.

Paul,

Thanks for the insight. I believe that I know the Conn. Franklin-ite that you speak of, and I remember talking with him about tires a few years ago. I'm not replacing the tires until next year. I still have a bit of tread left on the Custom Classics, although another Franklin-ite from MN has proven that '32 Club Sedans can be driven on transcontinental trips without any tread at all. My tires are still safe, at least as safe as they ever were. I'll rotate them and go until next year.

I'm replacing a bunch of the wiring on my car this week in preparation for the Trek. I think that functioning lights and horns are important for a 700 mile round trip. I got the harnesses from RI wiring, and they look great. Hopefully the installation will go smoothly.

I'll take an informal tire poll at the Trek, and see what kind of opinions I get. I have new Silvertowns on the Olympic. (Actually they're stacked in the corner of the garage next to the axles and springs.) They're B.F. Goodrich, not Goodyear. I haven't driven on them yet, but they sure look nice. For what it's worth, I have BF Goodrich tires on all my modern iron.

Steve,

Yeah, your right, I went back and looked at my pictures. It's B.F. GOODRICH, not Goodyear! My mistake. I shouldn't try to do this after only one cup of coffee !!!!!

Make sure to check with that MN Franklin-ite Tom. He gets to drive alot of differant tires too.

Also..... I can't remember if you car has side mounts. If so,don't forget to ask if they fit in wheel wells. Some of these 6.50-19's are actually made in a 7.00 -19 mould. Found that out the hard way !!! Only way to get the spares to fit in the wells was to get them down to 10 PSI and carry a tire pump.

See you at Caz.

Paul Fitz

Paul,

I'm glad you watch this discussion board. It's nice to get informed answers so quickly.

No side mounts on either of my cars. I actually prefer them that way, and with the price of tires today, I really prefer them that way! Although the left front tire will rub the drag link if I cut the wheel hard to the left. Do they all do that?

I will ask around at Caz to see what different people like. Some will drive on anything round, as you know. But others are more selective.

There also seems to be less of a selection available today in a 650-19. I've seen Firestone, BF Goodrich, Custom Classics, and Lesters, and that's it. I don't think I'll even entertain the Lesters or the Custom Classics, so the decision is getting easier.

Steve,

Agreed about sidemounts. More expense, about 100 lbs more weight on the car than just one spare. About 200 lbs more on the front end during braking. More air drag. And the biggest complaint for me is having to lean over sidemounts to work on the motor. Plus the rear mounted spares put a spare tire's weight behind the rear axle to help smooth out bouncing/hobby horsing and help prevent rear wheel lock up during panic stops. BUT, given all that, alot of owners still like they way they look !!!!!

I've heard the Michelin's were good, but I can't find them listed anywhere. So as you say, its down to Custom Classics, B.F Goodrich, Lester, and Firestone. All seem to be good, so I don't know as we need more choices.

Paul Fitz.

Steve,

You said,"Although the left front tire will rub the drag link if I cut the wheel hard to the left. Do they all do that?" ........

No! No car should do that.

The driver's side yoke stop bolt needs to be adjusted. It's a hex head bolt treaded into the back side of the end of the axle. The part that houses the king pin. It's about a 7/16 hex head bolt, with about a 5/8 hex lock nut. The stop bolts contact their backing plates when the steering wheel is turned fully left or right.

Loosen the lock nut, turn the bolt out about one turn. Turn the steering wheel full left and check to make sure the tire is about an inch away from the drag link. Then tighten the lock nut.

Paul Fitz.