Location of water pump packing???

wenthur

Went for a putt this morning, and the color matching guy at paint store doesn't work weekends,came home and found front nut on water pump leaking, looked in old posts and found that the graphite string is used for packing, took off nut and seems to be a brass sleeve that prys out. Old string was everywhere, so were does packing go. behind sleeve? between flange of sleeve and pump body? Both?

Still need front bumper brackets.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave, followed your directions, and surprise no leaks, got my information manual today and will be figuring out were to grease everything, sure enjoy driving around. It has been worth putting my '36 Mercedes project car on hold {for a few years} just to have something that runs well and only need upkeep and accessories.

Guest chopprjok

What type of grease did you use? I bought some white lithium grease yesterday that stated it was for marine use, but I am a little worried about using it.

Guest chopprjok

What type of grease did you use? I bought some white lithium grease yesterday that stated it was for marine use, but I am a little worried about using it.