'34 Ford - Need Help!

I am looking for a particular '34 Ford Coupe that belonged to my grandfather and then my father. Last trace is that it was sold at an auto auction around the area where Ga,Fla, and Ala meet back in the late 1970's. Someone from Oklahoma bought it. What I really want to know is how do I start? I contacted the auto auction folks, their records of sales do not go back that far. Is there any way to trace it through old license plates? When did older vehicles get VIN numbers or did they? Are there any car clubs in Oklahoma that might be helpful? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. My Dad is getting on up in age and he would like to see that car just one more time. He courted my Mom in it. Thank you very much.

By now the car could be anywhere. If it was in good shape when sold, it probably is still in the hands of some collector. Hopefully it is registered. <BR> If you have old license plates you probably have a serial number or motor number. Some states used one, some the other. If you don't, maybe your state can resurrect the number from the license plate number.<BR> After that you begin writing letters. Write to the state DMV's, stating your need and the serial or motor number. In most cases, they will reply there is a charge, maybe $5.00 to research it. Pay it and wait. You can also advertise in the various club and hobby publications for a 1934 Ford coupe, serial number whatzit, or motor number whatzit. By now the car could have been sold many times over. <BR> If none of those things work, then you're pretty much at a loss I think. Good luck. <BR> I tried it once and I found the title, but the owner of the title told me he'd sold the car and taken half the money. The buyer reported it stolen before paying the second half of the money and I never found the car. So, I built one like it. Of course you can't do that. I hope you find the car.

Thanks for your suggestions Dynaflash ---I have one more question for you though -- I have the Georgia license plate number from 1937. Could it possibly be used to track down a car in 2001? And, where do I find "the various club and hobby publications"? (Sorry, I know that was two questions!) Anyway, I appreciate your help - I will try and find an identifying number.

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

Georgiagirl<P>You could try the local tag office, but you'll probably end up having to write to Atlanta. I tried this with an Alabama tag from the 60's and hit a dead end. I called the local tag office and was given the number for the main office in Montgomery. They were not very willing to help. I suspect that the records exist, but they were too busy to help. Hopefully, it will be a better experience for you.