How to polish the chrome strips

Guest ReattaRouge

Guest ReattaRouge

What is proper way to polish chrome? About half of the chrome strip on the bumper of my 90 is kinda cloudy looking and the other half is nice and shiny still. I tried polishing compound (maybe made it worse) and some kind of chrome polish I bought at Murray's which seemed to make no difference. Any tips?

Guest Greg Ross

The areas of the bumpers you're talking about are not chrome finish, they're anodized aluminum. Polishing will have little benifit. If you are seeing deterioration in the anodized finish it's most likely the rear bumper where the exhaust has damaged the finish.

Sorry, only options are to locate one in better condition and replace it or, send yours to an anodizer and have it refinished.

Guest mongeonman

Look at the bumper on my Reatta,the bodt shop buffed them using buffing compound,they look like new.I d ont know what kind of compound they used but it worked!

post-49406-143137937748_thumb.jpg

post-49406-143137937752_thumb.jpg

post-49406-143137937756_thumb.jpg

Guest CL_Reatta

If you prefer the more economic approach to make the anodized aluminum look better you can spray it with laquer (clear coat) and it brings the shine back.

Guest ReattaRouge

Greg, you're right, it is cloudy on the side where the tailpipe is. I did also notice a tiny amount of pitting.

• 5 years later...
Has anybody used a product called Flitz Metal polish. I am also interested in polishing the bumpers on my Reatta. The website says it can be used on anodized aluminum. I don't want to rush into this and ruin my bumpers. Here is the website address for Flitz.

Flitz-Polish.com - Flitz-Polish.com

Any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Rather than start a new thread I will just revive one from the dead! I just used FLITZ metal polish to remove a dime size rust stain on my rear bumper strip. Prior to today, I had tried several expensive metal polishes and cleaners and couldnt get this rusty looking blemish off! I took some FLITZ and a rag and it came off within minutes! So consider this another testimonial to try FLITZ on metal trim. I also used it on a Fiero wheel after I took the cloudy clearcoat off with paint stripper. Absolutely amazing shine and clarity.

Rather than start a new thread I will just revive one from the dead! I just used FLITZ metal polish to remove a dime size rust stain on my rear bumper strip. Prior to today, I had tried several expensive metal polishes and cleaners and couldnt get this rusty looking blemish off! I took some FLITZ and a rag and it came off within minutes! So consider this another testimonial to try FLITZ on metal trim. I also used it on a Fiero wheel after I took the cloudy clearcoat off with paint stripper. Absolutely amazing shine and clarity.

I don't believe you. Must see before/after pictures. :)

Guest 89 Maui

Ervin -

Little difficult to show before pictures when you only see the results.

If two have tried the product and get above good results then it might be worth considering. 2 out of 2 is better

than 0 out of 2. That is worth considering, if I try it and get good results then its 3 out of 3.

I don't believe you. Must see before/after pictures. :)

As for the Reatta chrome strip, I wasn't thinking ahead about pics for whether it was going to work or not but it damn sure made me happy. :o

After seeing a fellow Fiero owner take off the hazed clearcoat off his wheels and then repolish them with Fitz, the results are more stunning than having perfect clearcoat! I've only done one Fiero wheel so I still have time to take before and after pics for that project.

Guest Kurt Franz

I think you could just strip the clearcoat off using a gel type paint remover product, then use some aluminum polish - the type used to polish aluminum mag wheels - to shine them up. The only thing to keep in mind with this method is that they will then require repolishing a few times a year to keep them bright. I did this on a set of factory 4 runner wheels and they looked really good. Actually they looked too shiny....

Good thing here is that they are nice flat bumpers and it would not take long to shine them up. The wheels took a long time and I got tired of doing it...

HTH