Floppy sunvisors

sosuzguy

Okay now I have both sunvisors that won't stay up. The drivers side was easy to fix for a while. I drilled a small hole though the center and put a pin in it to keep the rod from turning freely in the elbow. Now that rod has broke in half. The passenger side visor with the lighted mirror is a different and doesn't have the same setup. It rather uses a small diameter rod that goes into the plastic housing for the visor. There isn't even a tension screw on the passenger one.

Does anyone know of any ideas to fix these or a company that sells reproduction ones?

Below are links to both visors (not mine, experimental ones)

Thanks

487015721cgMyyG_th.jpg

487016273avsxlW_th.jpg

The "friction lock" mechanism on the sunvisor arm is the friction between the stub shaft of the sunvisor support (which sticks into the visor itself) and a nylon bushing inside the sunvisor's inner structure. If there is a tension adjustment screw, the mechanism the screw tightens has that nylon bushing inside of it. Without the screw, the bushing is still in there.

It's a simple bushing, flanged on the one end toward the sunvisor support. There is a GM part number for it, too, which is probably common to many other GM products for many years. Might even be on the HELP! rack, too.

To get it out, you might need a sheet metal screw to thread into the hole and pull it out. Putting the new one is can be a little tedious, though, even though the bushing is probably (as I recall) slotted (i.e., sliced) longways. It's not vary thick, either. A pair of needle nose pliers might work, too.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467