'31 S-151 Jack Handle info wanted

Franklin31

Have a heavy-duty jack that came with the car[assume original] but it doesn't have the jack handle with it. This jack works like the lightweight Model A Ford Jacks; is 10" high at lowest point{nested}. The slot that the jack handle fits in is 3/8" wide and 1" high. Certainly no problem on getting a piece of steel like that but I was wondering how long to make it. I know it really doesn't matter (not a purist);but if anyone has an 'original' I would like to know. If this jack is not original then it doesn't matter anyway. The writing on the jack is B3972.

Decided to post photo-small jack is Ford Model A.

Tks~~~~~

Richard

post-51030-143137930642_thumb.jpg

Rich,

It's not a Franklin jack, it's a "ratchet" type. Pictures of the original "screw thread" type jacks used by Franklin are in the back of the factory parts books, tools section.

That style ratchet jack was popular well into the 40-50's for many light trucks too. My father brought home several from when he worked for Nabisco as a delivery driver. I still use them for various light lifting projects, such as transmissions,oil pans,etc, because they are easier to work by hand without having to use the jack "handle" when I'm working under a car. The jack handles for those types where usually a flat, rectangular steel bar, tappwered at one end to fit into the "socket" lever. They are only about 18-24 inches long. To use them you had to get under the vehical. Not bad with a high truck suspension, but no Franklin owner would be required to crawl under their vehical. The screw jacks could be operated and somewhat moved around without getting under the car, by use of their long, folding crank handles. Most Franklin jacks had sockets that the squared end of the folding jack handle (3/8 inch rod) fit into.

Original Franklin screw jacks sometimes turn up for sale at Franklin Treks.

Paul.

tks,Paul, for this info. Makes me wonder about the club Series 15 & 16 Parts cat. copy I received.

Section 22:Shades-Upholstry-Tool Equipt., has nothing in it;

nor does Sect 19:Door Locks-Door Hinges-body Fittings;

nor does Sect 21: Floor Boards-Floor mats-Tread Plates-Seats & Cushions;

nor does Sect 23: Commercial Accessories;

nor does Sect 24: Special Shop Tools;

nor does Sect 25:Quanity Prices

SO---I don't have a picture !!!!

Should I have???

tks~~

Richard

Rich, May be that the Club Library's copy from which the 31 repro parts book is printed doesn't have the tool pages. I've seen them in an original, complete parts book. Lists tools that come with the car and then several pages of special tools for the dealer's repair shop for servicing/rebuilding.

Hopefully there is an attachment picture of a 29,30,31 Walker jack I picked up awhile back at the Trek. By the way, it's Walker Tool Company of Racine Wisconson. As far as I know, no relation to the Walker Body Company of Amesbury Mass.

Paul.

post-50968-143137930644_thumb.jpg