I know what it is, do you?

Amphicar BUYER

You got it! The paper on the window said;

1959 Chrysler Wayfarer Ute.

6 Cyl Hemi, Automatic,

one of 347 made, $5995

Only the 2nd one I have seen. If I had an extra $6k (what does extra $$ look like?) I would have bought it. It has a wood bed and the whole car looked very solid and presentable as it is. I did not notice what the odometer showed, my guess is not a lot of Km showing.

Guest De Soto Frank

Interesting !

Even though it's badged as a "Chrysler", this appears to be a '55-'56 Plymouth chassis/body...RHD too !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting !

Even though it's badged as a "Chrysler", this appears to be a '55-'56 Plymouth chassis/body...RHD too ! </div></div>

Chrysler tended to use older sheet metal dies for fairly low production cars in other countries long after they'd gone to new syling in the US--that '56 Plymouth styling remained in production in Australia into the early 1960,s I believe.

Australia, as in most countries of the former British Empire, uses to this day, right hand drive, simply due to driving on the left side of the street/road, as does Japan. As for the Ute (stands for "Utility"), those are an institution in that country, being a cross between a passenger car and a pickup--the inspriration for Ford to introduce the Ranchero in the US in 1957. Incidently, Ford also introduced the concept of the wide-bed pickup, with the bed solidly affixed to the cab, with the low-production 1931 Deluxe Pickup in the US, then the 1934 Ford Ute in Australia. One of their better ideas that caught on, big time!

Art