Sign in to follow this  
toomuchvinyl

Had a fast ratio steering box installed today, AWESOME!

10 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Ed, 100% correct ! Well done, not well finished, but well done. Get the fork. One of your packages came today. It was a small package with all the right stuff.

Many thanks.

RRB

I guess I'll have to finish it for you then.

Sine = opposite / hypotenuse

Cosine = adjacent / hypotenuse

Tangent = opposite / adjacent

On 7/13/2018 at 8:04 PM, RivNut said:

Sine Opposite Hypotenuse

Cosine Adjacent Hypotenuse

Tangent Opposite Adjacent

😎

On 7/14/2018 at 12:01 AM, 70rivme said:

Ed, 100% correct ! Well done, not well finished, but well done. Get the fork. One of your packages came today. It was a small package with all the right stuff.

Many thanks.

RRB

Ok, maybe I went too fast and confused myself before I got done.

sine is opposite over hypotenuse

cosine is  adjacent over hypotenuse

tangent is opposite over adjacent.

There I have it SOHCAHTOA. You had it as well. Discussions regarding higher math and statistics always shut me up quick. Unless a person can do the calculations or has solid information from credible sources that built the thing you are wasting your time talking to me. I studied a lot of math, algebra, plane & solid geometry and trig. And I was not very good at any of the stuff. But, I was good enough to know a given and what had to be proven. Setting up the equation was a disaster. I had a devil of a time getting the equation set up. Proving the thing was much easier.

RRB

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

How about "Some old hippy caught another hippy tripping on acid"

Would not be the first time. I can say with certainty I played too much football without a helmet.

true.

1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Would not be the first time. I can say with certainty I played too much football without a helmet.

true.

Did you get the SOHCAHTOA in the Hippy statement? 😁

Gents, driving  the 63 Riv I bought in May 2016 was exactly as I expected and maybe more. The boulevard ride The Riv gave was more like flying an airplane. I was ok with the steering and ride at least for a period of time.  I decided to maintain the suspension and put in new rubber bushings on the front sway bars, track bar, replacement gas shocks, and a rebuilt steering box based on Tom Telesco’s recommendations. The steering  box was not too hard to put on for an old man because I had a little Help guiding the spline in the rag joint. Use a torque wrench to 70lbs on the bolts that hold steering box on the frame. Lastly, I got the four wheel alignment I requested at my tire shop. I told the alignment ( who has been at the same shop,for 30 yrs.) tech I would like for him to use the rear axle as the focal point for the center of the front end alignment. The tech gave me all the positive he could on the Camber, .26 for Toe In, and between 0 +- 1/4. 

Bottom line - the steering wheel stays straight going down the road. I do not have to work to steer the car. The front tires feel solidly placed on the road and I now feel Like I have a real boulevard ride. No more feeling of flying an airplane while driving the Riviera. The rebuild of the 808 Saginaw box, new bushings, new shocks have made SIGNIFICANT difference in steering, handling, and ride. Many of you on the forum have helped with your genuinely good tips. Tom Telesco walked me through the whole project. 

RRB

In summary my 63 Riviera steering was converted from a feeling like I was flying an air plane to a feeling the front two tires were on the road. Significant improvement came with the following: replaced all 4 shocks, replac3d sway bar bushings in the front with neoprene rubber, same for track bar, rebuilt replacement steering box I got from Tom Telesco ( I don’t know the ratio ) , but the steering wheel turns 2 1/2 times to go to one side. New front end four wheel alignment. Surprisingly, I did all the work myself short of the front end alignment.

Rides just like what I think a Riviera should. Doesn’t get any better than that.

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

In summary my 63 Riviera steering was converted from a feeling like I was flying an air plane to a feeling the front two tires were on the road. Significant improvement came with the following: replaced all 4 shocks, replac3d sway bar bushings in the front with neoprene rubber, same for track bar, rebuilt replacement steering box I got from Tom Telesco ( I don’t know the ratio ) , but the steering wheel turns 2 1/2 times to go to one side. New front end four wheel alignment. Surprisingly, I did all the work myself short of the front end alignment.

Rides just like what I think a Riviera should. Doesn’t get any better than that.

Red Riviera Bob

I have upgraded my 68 in every way you did except for the steering box. Replacing the worn out front suspension bushings alone seems to have improved my steering "feel" and responsiveness quite a bit. I am adding putting one of Mr. Telesco's steering boxes on my short list of future projects.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 10:43 AM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Sir, I’m in the boat you were in. I put Bilstein’s on and the rebuilt steering box I got from Tom Telesco. Measurable improvement at low speed up to 60 mph. I took a round trip 660 mile drive in my 63 Riv on Interstate 80. The road is in good shape. At higher speeds the car did want to track straight. The car would drift out of its track. I’m replacing track bar bushings and sway bar bushings Tom Telesco recommended. Also, I’m going for the same alignment specs you have. Thank you for the report!

Red Riviera Bob

Gents, one of my mechanic friends that guided the rebuilt 808 I got from TelRiv told me to torque the bolts that hold the steering box on the car to 70lbs.  I tightened the bolts and neglected to revisit the bolts to torque.

long story short the box was wiggling back and forth on the frame. I torqued the steering box to 70 lbs. Now, I put on new rubber bushings on the sway and track bar. I got front end aligned like TelRiv recommended. My steering box takes 2.5 turns lock to lock, before it took 4 turns lock to lock. The steering wheel sits right in the steering column and the feels like the front tires are firmly on the road. Trust me, the character of the boulevard ride is in my 63 Riviera 100%. I would recommend shocks you like, rubber replaced, rebuilt 808 Saginaw steering box from telriv and front end alignment.

RRB

On 7/15/2018 at 2:11 PM, RivNut said:

Did you get the SOHCAHTOA in the Hippy statement? 😁

Ed, finally got the hippie phrase on acid understood. Some say the “ plodders” make it.

On 7/6/2018 at 8:23 PM, telriv said:

The only stops that are limited are the built in stops of the vehicle. Time for others to report their experiences. OR, better yet buy one & find out. Then you can do ALL the testing & theories you want until your hearts content. THINK AGAIN ABOUT PITMAN ARM LENGTH & THE ROLE IT PLAYS IN THE OVERALL SHEME OF THINGS. But, then again I'm sure you'll find something to knock or complain about. ALL I'm trying to do is help those out there that would like to upgrade & improve what they ALREADY  have. I just finished a '65 Riv. GS yesterday with the H2 option, faster ratio 15-1 ratio & he is EXTREMELY pleased with the outcome.

Again, just my thoughts. 

Tom T.

Tom, good thoughts you have. Your parts and consultation are 100% on the mark. You have helped me learn by doing. I’ve said a 100 times before I’m not a mechanic or mechanical, but I persist. The value of your parts and assistance has built an outstanding trust I have for you and your business. You help unselfishly and write in a direct manner that is understood. Thank you for your help. Guys like you and MANY others make this forum a great place to learn. I have some good natured fun along the way as well.

RRB