1899-1903 Locomobile steamer boiler. $950. See info photos

(Dear Friends. The photos are too large to load. Please email me for photos of the boiler if interested. Thanks,George.)   I recently acquired the chassis and boiler of a 1901 Locomobile steam car. The car was always restored but was destroyed in the Napa Valley Calif fire in 2016 or 2017. All that remains is the chassis and boiler. I have a use for the chassis. The boiler is for sale for $950 OBO. Just recouping my chassis acquisition costs. Have no idea the condition of the boiler after it was in the fire,but it looks good in the photo provided to me by the prior owner,before she wrapped it up and shipped it to me. It weighs approx. 200 lbs, but is only 2 feet across and 2 1/2 feet high. Find a shipper on www.uship.com and Ebay company, I frequently use to move cars and parts. No other parts for sale. Please share with your steam guys. Thanks,George Albright,Ocala,Fla.  email  gnalbright@gmail.com  cell weekdays 10-4 EST best  352 843 1624

locomobileboiler#3.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

In the picture is the boiler and burner together. It's upside down. That is either a 13" or 14" diameter boiler, if it's a 1901, it's most likely a 14".

The burner is probably okay as long as it isn't rusted away. That's worth something.

The boiler itself, who knows. It might be a serviceable boiler and it might be scrap which is the case with ANY used boiler, no matter the age, it also depends how hot it got in the fire, too hot and the copper tubes are collapsed (new tubes can be rolled in), and the shell or heads may be warped. Any old boiler like that should be ultra sounded for metal thickness to make sure it can withstand the pressure it was built for which is 250 psi. Then obviously hydrostatic tested to one and one half times it's operating pressure. If you have these tests performed, it would be more likely to sell. Otherwise someone may be purchasing something that isn't worth the cost of the shipping.

-Ron

George, I'm pretty sure that car is a Conrad, not a Locomobile.  Looks like a 1901 Model 50 Spindle back runabout. Do you have any other pieces of this car you'd like to sell? To my knowledge, Locomobile never used a boiler that large in a Stanhope body; are you measuring the height or the diameter? The coincidental thing about this, if it is indeed a Conrad, I'm restoring one right now that was in a fire.

Here is a picture of a Conrad and Locomobile body for comparison.

20181231_110818_Film3 (Medium).jpg

IMG_1343.JPG

Here is the chassis from the locomobile that came with the boiler. It is now in Canada being used for a Fossmobile tribute project. No other parts were sent except this chassis and the boiler. I only have the boiler. I owned the Conrad steam car you now own . Removed from Canton Ohio storage by me in 1994. Sold it to the guy you bought it from in the late 1990s. then it was in the fire at his place. I was told the locomobile was in the family since the 1950s. you can look at the chassis and see its locomobile and not Conrad I presume. Small world! George

locomobile1901chassis.JPG

• Thanks 1

What a shame.. you must've been sick.

Yes, small world indeed. That chassis that you owned has all been refurbished and ready to go out to paint. All the old tubing was bored out and replaced with Cromoly tubing. All of the joints were disfigured and had to be straightened.

A Conrad is a bit difficult to identify, as you probably know, they sold chassis components to other small builders around the Buffalo area. I can state with utmost certainty based on my research, the chassis on the trailer is not Locomobile, see the angular braces in the rear axle? Locomobile never did that. There was a small company over in Canada called "Neff" that bought parts from Conrad and built their own steamers. I think?? Coffin was another company that did this, I've never found enough info on it to come to any conclusion. That was either a Conrad or a small company they sold parts to.

Do you happen to have any old pictures of this car before it burned? The body is from another car obviously.

Picture of a Neff Steamer. And a picture of the Conrad before teardown for paint.

-Ron

neff.jpg

neffsteamcar.jpg

PC_Aug_22_steam_buggy_LE___Content.jpg

20181005_140847_Film3 (Medium).jpg

4 minutes ago, George Albright said:

Will look for photos of the car before it burned. Can’t promise any. Your step plates has scripped letters of CMC on both of them for Conrad motor company as I recall. Can’t comment either way of my former locomobile chassis 

Yes, please look, that would be great if you could find any, it could solve a few questions we have. That fire must've happened quite a while back on this chassis here, the front yokes on the front axle looked like they laid in the dirt and were about rusted away, I had to have new ones cast up.

Yes here are the step plates, I copied that logo and embossed it on the leather apron.

20180823_131119_Film3.jpg

20180923_125527_Film3 (Medium).jpg

Found my Conrad file from the mid 1990s before I sold the car. I have photos of your car before the fire! Email me your name and mailing address and phone and I will snail mail you the file with ads and photos. I will give you the boiler to help with the project but someone will have to pick up in Ocala,Fla. 34471. Weighs 100ish lbs but compact. Will fit in car trunk or truck. I am 10 minutes off I-75. onward! George Albright  gnalbright@gmail.com  cell weekdays 10-4 EST 352 843 1624

conradsteamcar#1.JPG

conradsteamcar#2.JPG

conradsteamcar#3.JPG

conradsteamcar#4.JPG

• Thanks 1

• 4 years later...