29 Graham axle removal

Old buicks 2

I'm helping a friend with a 29 Graham to remove the pinion gear.  Somehow he broke two teeth off the pinion and we think the two axles have to come out a ways to allow the front carrier assemble to be removed.   Then we can remove the pinion gear and try to find or make a new one.   Question is,  how do we remove the axles?   I can not see any keepers in the differential area and we have the outer seals and bearing covers removed.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

I have not done it but I have a 615 in my back yard (parts car) looks like there is a cover that holds the axel in place behind the brake plate.  There was a couple NOS pinions for sale on ebay.  Let me know if I can help.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

This is probably too late, but. 

Yes you do need to remove the axles.  The hard part will be removing the remaining piece of axle from the diff centre.  The axles come out by taking the wheels off, Your going to need a puller that screws onto the hub for this, then removing the 4 bolts holding the retaining cage, DONT MIX UP THE SHIMS, the axle float is set by the shims.  the axle should just pull out at that point.