1930 Pontiac brake countershaft springs

SDLARS

I'm putting my brakes back together and am not sure if the springs that were in place were correct.  One was wired to one of the body cross members and the other looks like a screen door spring with keychain fasteners on each end.  I've attached a few photos that I hope show where I am referring to.  I had a spring that is close to the one that was attached to the cross member but I think it's probably a bit heavy for the task.  Anyone know where and how they are to be fastened?20180520_162101.jpg.3dbb551bcf4b9e583b576b4b9c0bbf05.jpg20180520_162301.jpg.6e9041de761f808c5df1986afd556df6.jpg20180520_162722.jpg.0c77efc7ed84380eeed0153d319fda3d.jpg

I don't know if these will help.  Just some pictures I took in 1984 when I was rebuilding my engine, about 230,000 miles ago.  Everything about my brake cross shaft is original except for new clevis pins that I put in in the 70's.

0011.jpg

0021.jpg

0031.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

If you have the emergency brake drum on the transmission the linkage/springs will be different.  That would mean you have a Series 6-29A rather than a Series 6-30B.  The Series 6-30B caused some troubles in certain parts of the country because the emergency brake worked on all four wheels and was not s separate brake system from the regular brakes.  In some Provinces/States this was technically illegal.

Mine does not have the drum. All 4 wheels are on the emergency brake.

Are there any parts diagrams available for this car? That spring on your car makes sense but it would be nice to see what the engineers had in mind.

The only diagram that I have at hand is the one in the Shop Manual and it is not very  detailed.  I will look through my other Midland Steeldraulic material and see if there is a diagram.  Most of the diagrams are of the shoes and cables but I will check.

I have checked all my books and pamphlets about Midland Steeldraulic and there are no detailed drawings of the cross shaft or the springs.  The one in the

shop Manual is no help and the other two that I have show the Series 6-29A with the transmission brake but even these show no detail of the springs or the cross shaft.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I think you've helped a bunch. I have the service manual and it seems like it usually tells me most everything but what I really want to know. I'm going to put that little spring in place that is on yours and figure out a way to mount the return spring. After that adjusting the brakes is the next task. Any tips?

Follow the instructions in the shop manual exactly, and I mean exactly.  With the proper linings and when properly adjusted Midland Steeldraulic brakes are excellent.  They have a soft pedal and stop the car quickly.  From 50mph at night I can stop my Pontiac within the range of my headlights.  Half a pedal will lock all four wheels.

I am including 5 attachments that may assist you.

Midland Steeldraulic.odt

REID004.pdf

REID003.pdf

REID002.pdf

Here are some photos of my setup.  These were taken on the drivers side.  Probably should get a shot tomorrow from the passenger side of the smaller spring.  I probably should also clean up some of the grease...  The long spring on ‘Liz’ looks very similar to the one on ‘Tinindian’.  

550D3B04-713F-477A-A935-3A0B2C55D26B.jpeg.08c986ec7f51aec57e18dd6a19a8e213.jpeg89187A98-3CCA-45A8-A414-15C0D9B342D9.jpeg.f68972d01529955b5fe1161dc7af667e.jpeg

E64621B5-6C32-4C26-B211-77C81B72361B.jpeg

Thanks Rob. That small spring below the brake rod is something my car didn't have. I will be installing one.

I didn't like the "wire to the crossmember "arrangement so I made a bracket for the long spring. I'll post a photo.

I now have new brakes and am ready to start some rewiring. Slowly making progress.