Need some tuning help please !

John Byrd

I am almost embarrassed to ask for help on this, as I have done everything that can be done to all kinds of mechanical "things" except chrome plating.  However, either age has slipped up on me, or I am overlooking something so simple that I can't see it.

My pal has a 32 Ford Phaeton that he built in 66, and it has a little 302 with a C-4 tranny. Very normal, very dependable, very carefully maintained, and it is his baby...normally.  He is even older than me, ( ha ! ) and perhaps isn't remembering something he changed, but we cannot get the car to run smoothly AFTER putting it in gear !  He has his 3rd new carb (  which leads me to believe it isn't that ) but I went thru it anyway and did replace the power valve.  The vacuum is good, the timing right on, the Mallory with dual points ( and now a new condenser ) is functioning properly, the plugs are new, the plug wires are new and in their proper location, just everything seems right.   He said it just "rather suddenly" started doing this, and it actually pops and surges so bad he is afraid to drive it.  The darn thing idles great, revs cleanly, but put it in gear and ...pow, pop, surge, stumble.....  It can't possibly be the vacuum modulator "going open" can it ?  Should we try another coil ?   I am open to, and would sure appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks guys and gals !

Edited by John Byrd (see edit history)

I had the exact same thing happen to me one time with a 1941 Dodge pickup. It turned out to be a coil that went bad. The truck idled fine, but would fail under load. Also failed when it rained.

I would definitely try another coil.

Phil