Brake resurface

Clouddriver

I recently pulled the wheels off my 1930 REO Flying Cloud, and there some big chunks of the brake shoes, but all the metal and springs look good, I have heard of places that will redo the shoes and mold to the metal anyone have a good reputable place that does this? I am in CA. The shoes are marked Lockheed patent pending

thanks,

CD

Any reputable brake shop should be able to reline your shoes, either with bonded or riveted linings.  You should research what was the original type of lining and the COF.  If the shop doesn't know what COF is you maybe should look for another shop.  Your shop manual should tell you what type of brakes you have.  In order to have the best brakes possible you need to get as close as you can to the original.

• 3 weeks later...

You will need to get the right type of linings as mentioned above - mechanical brakes will need a much softer lining than hydraulics to work well. Also take your drums along, as they will need to be checked for roundness/concentricity, and maybe machined true again. After new linings are fitted to shoes they should be 'radiused' to match the drum they are going to work in - this ensures there are no high spots that can make your braking uneven.

Edit - Seems the Flying Cloud was the first car to use Lockheed Hydraulics brakes, so lining choice should not be difficult. Recommend a pair of spring pliers for the R&R of the shoes.

jp 26 Rover 9

Edited by jp928 (see edit history)
  • Like 1