Removal Of Hood on my 1949 Dodge Coronet How to ?

Michael_Blackburn

I'm Looking at removing Entire Exhaust system And cant get under the hood properly How do I remove it there are no Bolt Heads under the hood It looks like they are Internal but I Haven't Been Able to find them I'm going to have to remove all of my Pipe and cut and weld to remove Extreme rust All down it,  And remove mouse homes I should also Check in Exhaust Head for mice and remove any present Before I try to start.

You don't need an exhaust to start the engine for testing purposes. Depends how long it has been out of commission, and how well you know the car, if you have confidence the motor is good.

If the hood was closed, air filter on, and spark plugs in, chances are the engine has not rusted up. Try removing spark plugs and squirting a little oil in each cylinder 2 or 3 squirts from an oil can. Then see if you can turn the engine by hand. If it will turn by hand try the starter. If it will turn on the starter, and has compression, check if the spark plugs are firing. Be sure there is oil in the crank case. If it turns over and the plugs fire try connecting the carb to a motorboat gas tank or gas can with fresh gas. DO NOT trust the old gas in the tank unless it checks out good.

To check the gas tank blow some air down the filler pipe with an air hose. Smell what comes out. If it smells like gas you are ok if it smells like old stinky varnish you are in trouble.