1928 Dictator tire suggestions

bifda

Im looking to buy a set of 5 tires for my 1928 Studebaker Dictator. I am wanting wide white walls, but am having trouble finding something suitable. The car is currently fitted with 5.25/5.50 x 20 tires. I believe the original size to be 5.50 x 20. Could 6.00 x 20 be used?

I currently have lester's fitted, but don't want to go with them again. Reason being the set on the car have been on there for at least 12 years, but I replaced one about 5/6 years ago and within a couple of months it cracked all the way around the whitewall, the tire was replaced, but replacement did exactly the same, this too was replaced, the new replacement again cracked and this time I was told it wouldn't be replaced. The side of the tire is slightly different to the older tires on the car, with the originals being in fine condition, Im just replying them as they are now getting old.

My other Studebaker had Goodrich Silvertowns fitted, these perished when about 8 years old. I replaced these with Firestones, which seem, great, but this car is on smaller tires and I cant find Firestones in the correct size for my 1928 car.

Any suggestions greatly received.

Wayne

2 hours ago, keninman said:

Looking at this pic of Kclark's picture of his 19IMG_5144.jpg28 Dictator Six, it looks like it came with 6.50-19 tires. My 29-30 GL Dictator had this size for the spare. 

My 1929/30 Gj commander is on 19” wheels with the same hub caps as in your pic. My 1928 GE dictator is on 20” wheels with the smaller hub caps.

thanks